Sexual orientation and gender identity
- The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) is an online asexual community and archive of resources on asexuality.
- The Mix offers advice and information on all aspects of sexuality and relationships.
- Gay men's health charity (GMFA), have lots of information on sex and sexual health.
- the Beaumont Society is a national self help body run by and for the transgender community.
- Galop is an LGBT+ anti-violence charity to support anyone LGBT who has experienced hate crime, domestic violence or sexual violence.
Watch Rewriting the rules, a TED talk by Dr. Meg-John Barker.
A short film about asexuality.
Support groups (face-to-face and online)
- Gendered Intelligence provide a support group in Bristol for anyone under 21 who identifies as trans, non-binary, gender variant and questioning.
- Our Students' Union LGBT+ society offer a support group to students who identify as LGBTQ+.
- Off the Record run the 'Freedom' support group for anyone questioning their sexuality or gender.
- Bristol Mind run a MindLine Trans+ helpline a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. Tel: 0300 330 5468.
- The LGBT Foundation have a helpline to discuss any aspects of sexual or gender identity. Tel: 0345 3 30 30 30, 9am until 9pm Monday to Friday, and 10am until 6pm Saturday
- Switchboard is a national LGBT+helpline. Tel: 0300 330 0630, 10am-10pm every day.
- Families and Friends of Lesbians And Gays (FFLAG) is a national voluntary organisation and registered charity dedicated to supporting parents and their lesbian, gay and bisexual daughters and sons. Tel: Tel: 0845 652 0311.
Pink Therapy provide a list of UK therapits of all sexualities and gender identities who work with gender and sexual diversity clients across the LGBTIQ spectrum from a non-judgmental standpoint.
Other support and services
There are a number of other counselling services in Bristol who can help you. They are free or low cost.
Our Health and Wellbeing pages offer support and advice on all aspects of life as a student.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.