Mental Health Advisory Service

Our service is a referral service to help you if you have a diagnosed or emerging severe and enduring mental health difficulty.

You must be referred to us by your doctor at the Students' Health Service or by one of our Student Counselling Service counsellors.

Examples of severe and enduring mental health difficulties

  • harming yourself deliberately which has resulted in injuries that need medical attention
  • losing a sense of reality
  • having very unusual beliefs
  • rapid weight loss
  • having plans for suicide or previous suicide attempts
  • confused or disturbed thoughts that may not make sense to you or others
  • major changes in mood
  • feeling out of control
  • impulsive behaviour that causes you harm
  • seeing or hearing things that other people don’t

If you are referred to the Mental Health Advisory Service

You will be invited to an assessment with a Mental Health Advisor.

Your mental health assessment

At your assessment your advisor will explore the aspects of your mental health you are struggling with.
They will discuss your mental health history, and anything currently putting you at risk. They will create a care plan with you.

Your care plan

Your care plan will focus on your strengths and help you find the right support at University and in the wider community. This might include liaising with other services, such as those provided by the NHS and signposting you to other services and resources that might help you. MHAS blank care plan (Office document, 131kB)

Things to bring to your assessments

  • any care plans that have helped you in the past
  • contact details of people and services that support you, (eg  NHS services at home, current personal tutor etc)

Support available after your mental health assessment

If you need further support after your assessment we can offer a further care planning session and targeted time bound sessions.

Confidentiality and consent

We follow the Student Counselling Service's confidentiality policy.
During your initial assessment we will discuss who you are happy to give us consent to liaise with.
To get the most from our service, we encourage you to share your care plan with everyone supporting you. This is your decision.

The amount of support we can offer will be limited if we do not have permission to work with other services that support you.


Our service is by referral only. If you think you need to be referred, contact your doctor or contact our Student Counselling Service staff.

How the service might help you

Read Simon's story to find out how our service might be able to help you. 

Edit this page