Groups are led by a trained counsellor and offer you the opportunity to discuss and share your experience of an issue and get help and support from others who have experienced similar things.
Working in groups offers an opportunity to discover things about ourselves and others. Exploring issues together can give us valuable insights into our ways of thinking and being. We offer drop-in and bookable sessions.
Can I attend a group session?
- Any student who is registered at the University is eligible to attend a group.
- You need to register with the Counselling Service. You must do this before you sign up for a bookable session, but you can register on the day for drop-in sessions.
Drop-in group sessions, Summer break 2018
- You do not need to book to attend a drop-in group, just bring your student card to register.
- You can attend a drop-in group in addition to receiving other support from the Counselling Service.
- You can attend as many drop-in sessions as you like provided there is space.
- Arrive on time. If you are more than five minutes late you will not be allowed in.
Mindfulness practice group (drop-in)
Mondays, 6:30 pm to 7:15 pm
5 weeks, starts 11 June, ends 23 July 2018, (Please note that the group will not be running on 2nd or 9th July)
In this group you will have an opportunity to sample a variety of mindfulness skills and meditation practices. Mindfulness exercises can help centre the mind, manage stress and restore balance to our lives.
This group is open to all students, newcomers and those who would like to re-fresh skills or practice as part of a group.
Mindful yoga for stress (drop-in)
Tuesdays, 6:20 pm to 7:20 pm
6 weeks, starts 12 June, ends 17 July 2018
This group will introduce you to gentle movement and relaxation practices, so you can understand and manage stress better.
No experience is necessary and everybody is welcome whatever your level of fitness or physical capacity.
*Please note that due to unforseen circumstances we have had to cancel the yoga session on Tuesday 19th June 2018. The group will run as normal next week.*
Get to grips with your study strategy: overcoming emotional and mental blocks (drop-in)
Wednesdays, 12:20 pm to 1:20 pm
7 weeks, starts 13 June, ends 25 July 2018
Room 1, 3rd Floor, Hampton House
These practical motivational sessions will look at strategies for overcoming various psychological blocks to study.
Tailored to what individual students bring, the focus could be on motivation, procrastination, concentration, or any other areas where help is needed.
What to do if a drop-in session is full
Bookable group sessions, Summer break 2018
- You cannot sign up for a bookable group if you are having one-to-one counselling.
- You are limited to one booking each academic term, as they are in high demand.
- Groups are usually six weekly sessions.
- You should attend all the sessions.
- Please register to book a group session.
Walk and talk group (bookable)
Fridays, 10:15 am to 11:30 am
7 weeks, starts 15 June, ends 27 July
Are you feeling stressed by the demands of university life, having trouble concentrating, or perhaps feeling low or a bit isolated?
We invite you to join us for a guided walk on the Downs and feel the instant benefit of spending a little time outdoors.
Students have found this group both enjoyable and effective in boosting energy and motivation.
This group is co-run by Timothy Dowling (local nature observer and experienced walk leader), and staff from the Student Counselling Service (and accompanied by Tim’s dog Meg!).
It’s fine to start coming at any point in the term; we do ask that you pre-book your first session through our registration form or alternatively book by phone: 0117 954 6655 or email: email@example.com
The walk begins from the Retreat Café BS9 1FG. We start at 10.15am and return to the café for 11.30am. Do come dressed for the weather, and we suggest trainers or walking boots are a good idea. All students welcome!