Emergency help

Emergency contacts

The Student Counselling Service is not an emergency support service.

If you are feeling distressed and need immediate help there are services available to help you.

Use these services if you are concerned about someone else too.

Serious medical emergency

If you feel at risk of harm to yourself, go to your nearest hospital or call the Emergency Services on 999.


Contact your doctor's surgery and request an emergency appointment. If your doctor's surgery is not open, contact the NHS Out of Hours Medical Service on 111 available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

If you are not registered with a doctor in Bristol, you can attend an NHS walk in centre.

Mental health crisis

The Bristol Mental Health crisis team can help if your mental health is at breaking point.  This service is available 24 hours a day.

Bristol Mental Health crisis help

University Security Services

If there is an emergency on campus, you can call the University security services

Telephone: 0117 3311223 (internal 112233)

Out of hours support

If you live in University allocated accommodation

Who to contact

The Duty Senior Resident.

How to contact them

The phone number for the Duty Senior Resident for each residence is on the residence website.

  1. Select the residence from the full list of University-allocated accommodation.
  2. From the residence page, select the Contacts link.


Samaritans provide confidential support 24 hours per day whatever you are going through.

Contact the Samaritans

Bristol MindLine

Bristol MindLine is a confidential helpline to support people going through a difficult time.

Contact Bristol MindLine

Self-Injury Support

The Self-Injury Helpline is for women of any age and background affected by self-injury, whether their own or that of a friend or family member.

Contact Self Injury Support


Nightline is an information and listening service run by students for students.

Contact Nightline


Saneline is a national helpline providing information and support on mental health issues

Contact Saneline


Papyrus is a voluntary organisation committed to helping young people who have thoughts of suicide or harming themselves.

Contact Papyrus


Elefriends is an online community of support to help you manage your situation when you feel you need help.

Contact Elefriends

Victims of crimes

If you are the victim of crime there are services available to help you. Use these services if you are concerned about someone else too.

Victim support

Victim support provide help to anyone affected by crime both directly and indirectly.

Rape and sexual support

The Bridge is a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). They offer medical, emotional and psychological support, and practical help to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted.

Violence and abuse

Bristol Against Violence and Abuse (BAVA) provides support for men and women who are the victims of violence and abuse.

Victims of hate crime

Crimes that take place within the University

Use our Report and Support tool to report bullying, discrimination, sexual assault or harassment.

Crimes that take place outside of the University

Contact Avon and Somerset Police hate crime support.

Edit this page