Research Staff 1:1 Appointments
Bristol Clear offers appointments for research staff on Pathway 2, to review your career options; whether you're considering a future within, or outside of academia. These 30 minute coaching-style sessions give you an opportunity to talk through your career dilemmas with an impartial member of the Bristol Clear team. Impartiality is important. We are not invested in the decisions you make, and do not have any pre-existing ideas about what course of action is best for you. This means that we won't tell you what to do. Instead, we'll support you to find your own solutions.
Is a 1:1 going to be useful for me?
These sessions give you the space to explore and consider your own solutions and who you have in your network who can support you. If any of the following resonate with you, then a 1:1 may help:
- I’ve decided my current job isn’t for me and I don’t know what to do.
- What are my transferable skills?
- How do I find alternative careers?
- How do I progress within the University?
- I’d like some help with preparing for interview.
How to ensure you get the most of your session
- Take some time ahead of the session to think: Realise it is only 30mins, which will go in a flash, so think about what drew you to sign up to a session and consider what you want to focus on. Write down what you want out of the session and what questions you want to find answers to.
- Bring a pen to make notes: You should come out of the session with actions (including people you could talk to or things to investigate further).
- Have realistic expectations: These sessions are about you finding your own solutions - we won't provide you with answers but we will work with you to reframe your thoughts and ideas to better make sense of your situation.
How to book
A helpful resource
People who attend our 1:1 coaching-style sessions report feeling an increase in their confidence, their clarity and their motivation to make changes.
Career guidance for former UoB students
If you are now a member of research staff, but were a student of the University of Bristol, then you can access the University's career guidance provision for up to three years after you graduate.
A 1:1 appointment would also be a good first step if you are considering career coaching.