Open access funding
Research Councils and COAF funding for gold open access
The University has limited funding available to cover gold open access publication costs for articles published by Bristol authors which acknowledge funding from the Research Councils or COAF.
To be eligible for funding, articles must:
- Be peer reviewed and not commissioned;
- Acknowledge funding from at least one Research Council or COAF body;
- Have a corresponding author affiliated to the University of Bristol;
- Be published under a CC BY attribution licence in a journal which complies with your funder's requirements. Papers published under other licences (e.g. CC BY-NC) are not eligible for funding.
Priority for APCs for Research Council funded articles will be given to those in gold fully open access journals and, whilst funds remain available, to those published in hybrid journals that support the transition to full open access, e.g. by offering a discount, rebate or prepayment agreement. There is a list of these publishers available.
COAF funding update: There are currently no COAF funds available until October 2018. Please see the document: What to do when there is no COAF funding remaining (PDF, 124kB).
Apply for gold open access funding
If your paper meets the criteria above, follow these steps to apply for gold open access funding:
- Check that the journal you want to publish in complies with your funders’ requirements for gold open access: this can done via Sherpa/FACT
- Before you sign any agreement with the publisher, complete an open access claim form to log your claim. The Open Access Team will check your request, notify you whether your claim has been accepted, and provide you with further instructions.
- When your claim has been accepted, submit the relevant request-to-publish forms to the publisher. You should:
- If you receive any subsequent correspondence from the publisher about the payment (e.g. invoices, payment links), please forward this on to the Open Access Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gold open access for authors without Research Councils or COAF funding
If your research is not funded by one of the Research Councils or by a COAF body, the University may have arrangements with your publisher which cover the publication costs or entitle you to a discounted publication fee. Our publisher deals and payments page lists publisher deals and discounts which are available to University of Bristol authors.
Authors not funded by a Research Council or COAF body, who wish to publish via gold open access, can also contact their department or research funder to see if alternative funding is available. Authors may also contact publishers directly to enquire about publication charge reductions or waivers for those without funding.
Temporary lack of funds for Open Access Article Processing Charges - UKRI-funded researchers.
Make a claim for gold publication of Research Council or COAF funded papers.
Page, colour and other publication charges (including membership) remain the responsibility of the author or department.
Check to see if a journal meets funder open access conditions.