Charities Open Acces Fund (COAF) authors
The COAF block grant used to cover open access Article Processing Charges (APCs) is now fully committed. Some funders may support additional publications, so the Library will have to examine each request on a case by case basis.
The COAF funders are:
- Versus Arthritis
- Blood Cancer UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Cancer Research UK
- Parkinson’s UK
Open access funding
Research Councils and COAF funding for gold open access
The University has limited funding available to cover gold open access publication costs for articles published by Bristol authors which acknowledge funding from the Research Councils or COAF.
To be eligible for funding, articles must:
- Be peer reviewed and not commissioned;
- Acknowledge funding from at least one Research Council or COAF body;
- Have a corresponding author affiliated to the University of Bristol;
- Be published under a CC BY attribution licence in a journal which complies with your funder's requirements. Papers published under other licences (e.g. CC BY-NC) are not eligible for funding.
In addition Open Access funding can generally only be provided to UK Research Council funded authors if they are publishing in Open Access Journals where payment of an Article Processing Charge is the only route to publication.
We can only fund publications in Hybrid journals (i.e. Journals which offer Gold open access as an option, but also charge institutions a subscription fee) in exceptional circumstances and have very limited funding to support this. Please email email@example.com if you think this might apply to you. See also the note on Gold open access for authors without funding at the bottom of this page for other possibilities.
Apply for gold open access funding
If your paper meets the criteria above, follow these steps to apply for gold open access funding:
- Check that the journal you want to publish in complies with your funders’ requirements for gold open access: this can done via Sherpa/FACT
- Before you sign any agreement with the publisher, complete an open access claim form to log your claim. The Open Access Team will check your request, notify you whether your claim has been accepted, and provide you with further instructions.
- When your claim has been accepted, submit the relevant request-to-publish forms to the publisher. You should select CC BY attribution as the publication licence to comply with funder requirements.
- If you receive any subsequent correspondence from the publisher about the payment (e.g. invoices, payment links), please forward this on to the Open Access Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gold open access for authors without Research Councils or COAF funding
If your research is not funded by one of the Research Councils or by a COAF body, the University may have arrangements with your publisher which cover the publication costs or entitle you to a discounted publication fee. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Authors not funded by a Research Council or COAF body, who wish to publish via gold open access, can also contact their department or research funder to see if alternative funding is available. Authors may also contact publishers directly to enquire about publication charge reductions or waivers for those without funding.
Make a claim for gold publication of Research Council or COAF funded papers.
Page, colour and other publication charges (including membership) remain the responsibility of the author or department.
Check to see if a journal meets funder open access conditions.