What do we do?
The Contracts Team negotiate contracts and other agreements for research and consultancy undertaken by academic staff.
Good contracts ensure that work programmes and the price charged are clear, and that any risks are acceptably balanced by the benefits to the University and to the funder. Such benefits include:
- Our ability to publish;
- Our ability to build upon the results of the work;
- Engaging in commercial exploitation, where appropriate.
We work with academics and funders to help build good relationships, to maximise income and resource, and to set up contract terms. The terms provide clear guidance on the conduct of the project, serve to head-off potential problems, and resolve real ones!
Working with other support services as required, we steer negotiations through to completion of an acceptable commercial arrangement, and make recommendations to Finance Services for final signature.
Talk to us if:
- You are thinking about, or discussing, a new research or consultancy project with or for a third party;
- You want to talk to a third party about unpublished work, perhaps for a potential collaboration, and you need a confidentiality agreement;
- You want to receive research material from a third party (if a third party requires research materials from you, please contact the Research Commercialisation Team);
- You have been presented with a research related agreement for signature.
- Guidance on who to contact for different contract types (Office document, 23kB)
The earlier we become involved, the better we can help you.
For further information, please contact the Contracts Team. For more general contracts guidance as it relates to University policy, please refer to the Secretary's Office.
(Back to top)