Open access for the REF
Making your research outputs REF compliant
The HEFCE open access policy requires that all journal articles and conference proceedings (with an ISSN) submitted to the next REF are deposited in a repository within three months of acceptance.
What you need to do
Once you receive notification from your publisher that your article has been firmly accepted:
- Log onto Pure to deposit your paper.
- Create a basic Pure record including: article title, author(s), journal title, date of acceptance, a copy of your accepted manuscript.
- Email the Open Access Team to forward your publication acceptance email.
What Library Services will do
Library staff will check all Pure records with documents attached, and will make the documents publicly available through Explore Bristol Research according to the copyright policies of the publisher.
They will also:
- check the publisher copyright to ensure that public posting is permitted;
- set an embargo period where necessary;
- create a full and discoverable Pure record, including metrics from Scopus (where possible).
Watch a short online tutorial about how to comply with the REF Open Access requirements.
Please see our further help and information if you have further questions about complying with the REF open access policy,
Book onto one of our training courses for an introduction to funder and HEFCE open access policy requirements.