Exploring complex datasets using VR / 360 data visualisation
Data visualisation challenge
Please note we have changed how we would like you to apply for this challenge. Please sign up to our Eventbrite page for the team formation workshop and someone from the JGI team will contact you to ask you to complete a simple form (an 'expresssion of interest' form)
This data visualisation challenge, hosted by the Jean Golding Institute (JGI) and in association with the Bristol VR lab and We The Curious (formerly known as @Bristol) aims to stimulate a community interested in science content development based on state-of-the-art science and the latest VR, AR and/or 3600 data visualisation techniques. Bristol very recently has opened a VR lab and this has enabled opportunities for the development of new forms of data visualisation that could generate considerable research impact.
Who are we looking for?
Researchers that are producing or have produced complex datasets and have interesting research questions that may be investigated/explained using data visualisation in 360o and/or VR
- Professionals in data visualisation, VR, AR, VFX, 360o content developers, gaming developers, producers that are keen to work with researchers to develop a VR and/or 360o data visualisation to be showcased at the Bristol Data Dome. These should have the ability to individually or in small teams develop a prototype using 360 film, pre-programmed VFX or interactive i.e. Unity / Unreal / AR Kit.
Team formation workshop - 11 January 2018, 11:00-16:30, Bristol VR Lab
You're invited to participate in this 'team formation workshop' if you're a researcher we would like you to present your research and dataset. If you're a VR professional, you can learn more about the data and decide which project you may want to work on, there will be opportunities to discuss ideas and prepare a short project brief.
You or a member of your team (if you would like to enter as an organisation) will need to attend the workshop if you would like to apply for this funding.
What we offer
JGI will provide £8,000 funding to support the development of a prototype data visualisation to be displayed in the Bristol Data Dome. We also have a data scientist ready and willing to help should any data preparation or analyses be required for the visualisation. The scope of the prototype will be agreed accordingly with the individual or team in accordance with the funding and timescale (ready for demonstration in July 2018)
The Bristol VR lab will offer a space to work on a part time basis while individuals or teams are working on the project, including an opportunity to use their VR facilities
- We The Curious will provide access to the Data Dome and training on the Data Dome Unity toolkit. In addition, their science communicators will support the development of the story behind the visualisations.
If you are interested in being part of this exciting project please sign up using the Eventbrite link.
- Launch – 19th October 2017 (Digital Bristol Week)
- Expression of Interest Deadline – 8th January 2018
- Workshop and team formation – 11th January 2018
- Deadline for submission of entries – 25th January 2018
- Winning team announcement – 5th February 2018
- Showcase – 3rd July 2018.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 0117 4282469