Students with dependants

Students from England

Students with children or dependant adults can apply for extra support from Student Finance England:

Students from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland


Most full-time students cannot claim benefits. However, some students may be eligible (lone parents/disabled students) during term time and may be able to claim in full over the summer. Read about Universal Credit or speak to a Student Funding Adviser to find out more.

Financial Assistance Fund

The Financial Assistance Fund is a discretionary fund administered by the University of Bristol to provide financial assistance to Home (UK) undergraduate and postgraduate students in order to help them access and remain in Higher Education.

The fund supports students who need extra financial help to meet costs that are not met from other sources of support, or students who have particular financial emergencies and as a result are at risk of leaving Higher Education.