Previous dissertation titles
Students are encouraged, with guidance from staff, to select their own research question for their dissertation projects. In addition we can suggest that the student develop their own ideas from several existing projects that are funded and on-going; projects may include qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods studies. The selection below shows a range of dissertation topics from the past few years:
Physical Activity & Health
- Safety behaviour among university cyclists
- Weight bearing physical activity and bone health
- Lifestyle promotion of physical activity by GPs with their patients
- Physical activity and sleep in older adults
- Mass media walking campaigns
- Exercise and plasma homocysteine
- Smoking cessation and physical activity promotion in community pharmacies
- The effects of brisk walking on blood pressure
- Physical activity, fitness and metabolic syndrome in people with type 2 diabetes
- The influence of parents on children’s physical activity
- Exercise for people with severe enduring mental illness
- Evaluation of regular participation in football on quality of life in men with severe enduring mental illness
Nutrition & Health
- Evaluation of cook and eat sessions for people on low income
- The promotion of breastfeeding in new mothers.
- A trial to introduce healthy dish choices into commercial restaurants in Bristol.
- Diet and quality of life in cancer patients.
- Obesity management in clients with learning disabilities.
- Evaluation of primary care weight loss programmes.
- Promotion of physical activity by Registered Dietitians
- School meal choices in adolescent girls
- Gastric band surgery and diet in the management of obesity
- Food shopping habits of older adults and relation to diet
- An email intervention to office workers intended to overcome barriers increased consumption of fruit and vegetable intake
- Parental views of a childhood obesity intervention
- Associations between eating habits, food choices and body weight in people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes
- Evaluation of a health session for students during exams
- Evaluation of non curricular lifestyle interventions in Bristol primary schools
- Emotional eating and food choices in Greek adolescents
- Dietary counselling approaches to reducing dietary fat in South Asian women
- Quality of diet and body weight in Chinese university students
- Experiences of a lifestyle intervention in patients with high cholesterol levels
- Families’ perceptions of healthy eating and physical activity
- Body checking and eating attitudes in university womenMotivations for exercise in university students.
- Physical activity, depression and anxiety in pregnant women