The year in Industry is an invaluable experience for acquiring professional skills and consolidating academic learning.
Below you can see excerpts from reports written by students on their placement year, as well as links to the full report.
Peter Collen, Rolls-Royce
"Choosing a course with a placement year was by far one of the best decisions I made when applying to university. Not only does working in industry allow you to cement your academic learning with practical experience, it also ensures you can develop skills... such as project management and presenting key information to stakeholders and customers."
Charly Capon, Atkins Aerospace
"A year in industry helps you to understand better the things that really do interest you and can often help to identify those things that don't, which is so important when considering your future career path."
Anna Gasslbauer, Arup
"Having the opportunity to be part of a real engineering team and to work on such a challenging project has been a very rewarding experience and of great value to my professional development."
Laura Tulloch, Frazer-Nash
"...my placement with Frazer-Nash Consultancy... has been a challenging yet rewarding experience and the opportunities which I have had were far greater than I ever imagined."
Matthew Mew, Babcock International
"The opportunity of a year in industry is a great privilege that every student should strive to experience. Not only does (it) give you a couple of leaps up the employability ladder, ...you'll know what you want to do with your life!"
Tom Rosier, RWE npower
"...my third year placement with RWE npower renewables... taught me invaluable real-world lessons that I could bring back to my Research and Design projects... and the value of teamwork under pressure."
Other placement examples
The purpose of placements, as part of the Engineering Design degree, is to:
- give students an understanding of the excitement of real engineering
- enable students to see the relevance of their academic studies
The following is a historic list of some of the projects our students have worked on with a link at the bottom to further information about their placement experiences and the benefits gained:
- Specification, design, build and commissioning of equipment to aid the assembly of specialised measuring equipment
- Evaluation of the yield from a proposed solar farm and designing changes to the farm layout to maximise the yield
- Development of a 3D model to predict the wake effects of offshore turbines
- Evaluation of fibre optic modems to support undersea communications over distances greater than 150Km
- Designing modifications to stabilise a railway embankment
- Designing and implementing a web-based application for a global cost reduction process
- Designing test protocols for the evaluation of personal medical injection pens, and proposing design changes from the test results
- Carrying out Finite Element Analysis to evaluate an aircraft’s crash-worthiness
- Evaluating the robustness of existing structures in nuclear power stations against impact from dropped equipment
- Optimising the maintenance strategy for offshore wind farms through an evaluation of wave and current data (for the docking of maintenance vessels on the turbine towers)
- Designing prototype and pre-production consumer products using flexible materials
- Carrying out tests on and designing modifications to a measurement standard for use in the water industry
- Designing tests and test equipment for the testing of a new aircraft engine
- Specifying, designing and implementing a process for improving the manufacturing of composite propeller blades
- Designing changes to the street furniture for and drainage of a pedestrian shopping area
- Designing software and hardware upgrades to automatic test equipment for electronic subassemblies
- Designing, building and running tests on a novel process for the extraction of valuable chemicals from forest floor litter
- Designing parts of a new crane for the defueling of a nuclear submarine
- Design of improvements to existing road bridges
- Design of roof structures, columns and piling structures for new buildings
- Designing the building maintenance strategy for parts of the London Olympic park
- Project management of parts of the design of a submarine weapons handling system
- Writing software test protocols and running tests on software for use in aircraft systems