Inspired by the Royal Academy of Engineering, this unique course aims to develop high calibre engineers who can lead complex engineering projects vital to modern society.
After a broad common first year, students can choose to specialise in Mechanical, Aerospace or Civil Engineering, studying technical units alongside students from these discipline focused degree programmes. What makes the course unique is that it also gives opportunities to study bespoke design units, to undertake industrial placements and to work on real-world design projects in partnership with industry. It is accredited by all of the main professional engineering institutions and is supported by leading companies from a wide range of engineering sectors.
Our Students' Projects
A unique feature of the course is the major design project that students undertake during the final two years of their degree, working in collaboration with one or more industrial partners. Recent examples include the following projects:
Design of Exoskeleton Devices
Industrial Partner: DCA
Supported by DCA, a leading design consultancy, the group designed and prototyped a lower limb exoskeleton device able to aid movement using muscle signals.
- Demand Responsive Transport Systems
Renewable Energy Microgrids
Industrial Partner: IT Power
Supported by IT Power, an energy consultancy, the team developed new techniques for designing renewable energy microgrids for remote communities.
Over the course of the degree, you will be taught by experts with a diverse range of interests in Engineering Design, such as:
Professor Fabrizio Scarpa
Research Interests: Smart Materials and Structures
Dr Theo Tryfonas
Research Interests: Cybersecurity and Smart Cities
Dr Paul Harper
Research Interests: Renewable Energy Systems
Professor Stuart Burgess
Research Interests: Engineering Design
Engineering Design News
- Startup Stories from Engineering Design 3 September 2018
- Engineering Design students excel in Royal Academy of Engineering Leadership Awards 16 May 2018
- University of Bristol - top for Engineering Design in Complete University Guide 2019 league table 25 April 2018
- Students Develop New Solutions for Offshore Renewable Energy 4 September 2017
- Engineering Design achieves 100% student satisfaction in latest National Student Survey 9 August 2017
This programme is accredited by a number of top engineering organisations.