There are many challenging issues to be solved in natural hazards. The following weaknesses and knowledge gaps have been identified in the current disaster risk management:
- there is a lack of sound knowledge about mechanisms and processes of interacting multi-hazards. It is also poorly understood about the spatial and temporal changes in hazards and vulnerability during successive hazards;
- hazard monitoring, forecasting and early warning systems have not fully utilised the domain knowledge of physical processes and the statistical information of the observations;
- uncertainties have not been well recognised in the current risk management practice;
- the current hazard and risk assessments are fragmented with a weakness in holistically combining quantitative and qualitative information from a variety of sources;
- there is an urgent need for the systems thinking framework and decision support system tools in adequate scenario assessment and resilience development from a harmonised and transdisciplinary perspective.
The RESIST (Resilient Economy and Society by Integrated SysTems modelling) project is funded by Newton Fund (via NERC/ESRC) and NSFC on their IRNHiC call about Increasing Resilience to Natural Hazards In Earthquake-prone regions in China. RESIST focuses its case study on the Anninghe. Its economic development is relatively low and inhabitants remain very vulnerable. The study area has suffered from severe earthquakes as well as frequent debris flows, landslides and floods. The project aims to develop a holistic thinking framework and DSS for sustainable economic development to increase resilience to natural hazards. The following objectives are targeted:
- to develop a Disaster Risk Information System by literature review, field trips, and new observations;
- to study mechanisms and processes of interacting multi-hazards influenced by earthquakes, climate change and human activities;
- to analyse holistic disaster risk assessments and mitigation measures;
- to develop a whole systems resilience modelling platform for sustainable economic development and social welfare.