Water Pollution Prevention Contol
This module provides a thorough grounding in practical water pollution control management within the overall context of water use, conservation and environmental protection.
This is achieved by considering the various uses of, water pollution sources and their control, the setting of discharge consents, catchment management principles, water pollution control regulation and quality monitoring and reporting.
It provides methods by which to assess water pollution problems and to design pollution control measures and to determine discharge consent conditions to meet statutory and other water quality objectives. It ensures the awareness and competencies in methodology for consideration of the specific issues involved in water pollution control management.
Summary of aims
This module builds on the understanding of water pollution and the measures necessary for its control and management to balance user and environmental needs:
Its principal aims are:
- To provide a knowledge of the types and sources of water pollution and their influence on the quality of inland, estuarine and coastal waters.
- To provide understanding of the issues involved in water pollution measurement and its control and management to achieve quality and environmental objectives.
- To context the sustainable management of water quality within the wider aims of catchment management.
Anticipated learning outcomes
From a knowledge of:
- The uses of water and the related water quality criteria
- The sources of pollution and their impact on use and the environment
- The discharge consenting process to protect receiving water quality
- The principle of catchment management
- The methods of water quality monitoring, interpretation and reporting
- The law and regulations governing water resources
Students at the end of the module should be able to:
- Critically appraise the existing procedure, for water pollution control management and suggest improvements.
- Undertake the critical evaluation of alternative proposals for water quality for a water body and design a scheme of pollution control to meet water use and environmental standards.
- Confidently liaise with other professionals, water users and other interested parties on water pollution control matters and on measures necessary to achieve water quality and environmental objectives.