This module provides a thorough grounding in the practical management of river engineering within the overall context of catchment management.
This is achieved through consideration of the river hydrology and modelling, flood warning and defence, lowland drainage and navigation, the design of river structures, river maintenance planning, and an understanding of the policy and legal framework governing river management.
It provides methods by which to monitor river flows and plan for emergencies, to identify engineering and maintenance requirements and to design river works to meet them. It ensures the awareness and competencies and methodology for consideration of the specific issues involved in river management.
Summary of aims
The module builds on the understanding of river engineering and the measures necessary to satisfy river uses, environmental standards and customer protection.
Its principal aims are:
- To provide knowledge of the factors involved in managing the development and operation of land drainage and rive engineering works to meet flood defence, river use, environmental standards and customer expectations.
- To provide an understanding of rive hydrology and modelling processes and their input to scheme design, maintenance and operation.
- To understand the basis for appraisal, design and construction of land drainage and river engineering maintenance works.
Anticipated learning outcomes
From a knowledge of:
- The hydrology of river catchments and the techniques for the mathematical modelling of catchment and run-off and river flows.
- The nature of flood warning systems and the design of flood defence measures.
- The characteristics of lowland drainage and navigation systems, their design and maintenance.
- The appraisal, design, construction and maintenance of river structures.
- The environmentally sensitive maintenance of rivers and the design and construction of associated structures.
- The European and National policy and legal framework governing river engineering.
Students at the end of the module should be able to:
- Critically appraise the existing procedures for river engineering management and suggest improvements.
- By intelligent use of engineering and scientific principles, develop and undertake the critical evaluation of alternative proposals and designs for river engineering works.
- Confidently liaise with operators, engineers, contractors, customers and regulators on river engineering matters.