Potable Water Treatment
This module provides a thorough grounding in the engineering and science of potable water treatment systems within the overall context of public water supply. This is achieved by considering the legal and institutional frameworks governing water supply, the types of water sources, the planning and design of water treatment facilities and the operation of treatment systems to meet water quality and customer service standards.
Summary of aims
The module provides the skills necessary for the effective management of water supply and the measures necessary to meet quality standards and customer expectations.
Its principal aims are:
- To provide a knowledge of the factors involved in managing regional and local water sources to meet customer demand in normal, exceptional and emergency situations.
- To provide understanding of the characteristics of waters and the selection, process design and operation of treatment works to meet drinking water quality standards.
- To understand the process of water distribution and its influence on water quality and the measures taken to ensure public health, water quality and customer satisfaction are maintained.
- To provide understanding of the legal and institutional framework governing public water supply.
- To context water treatment within the overall management of public water supply.
Anticipated learning outcomes
From a knowledge of:
- The demand for water and the available source, treatment and distribution capacities.
- The physical, chemical and biological quality of the water sources.
- The available water treatment processes to meet drinking water quality standards.
- The impact of water distribution on water quality and levels of customer service.
- The measures taken to protect customers and their apparatus.
- The law and regulations governing public water supplies.
Students at the end of the module should be able to:
- Critically appraise the existing procedures for potable water treatment management and suggest improvements.
- By use of engineering and scientific principles develop and undertake the critical evaluation of alternative proposals and designs for the treatment of raw water to meet potable water quality standards.
- Liaise with water users on the measures taken to meet potable water quality standards, to meet customer expectations and to protect public health.