Operational Management and Customer Service
This module provides a thorough grounding in practical operational and customer service management in the field of water and environmental management.
This is achieved by considering business management at the strategic, asset and service delivery level and the role of the financial, human resource and information technology support services. It is complementary to the technical and operational skills obtained through other modules.
It provides methods by which to determine management policies and procedures to meet business, customer service and regulatory standards. It ensures the awareness and competencies in methodology for consideration of the specific issues involved in operational and customer service management.
Summary of aims
This module provides an understanding of operational management and customer service and the measures necessary for their management to balance business, customer and regulatory needs.
Its principal aims are:
- To provide knowledge of the business environment in which operational management and customer service delivery is undertaken.
- To provide understanding of the critical success, factors for effective and efficient management and the role of support services in achieving them.
- To context the practice of operational management and customer service delivery within the major areas of water and environmental management.
Anticipated learning outcomes
From a knowledge of:
- The principles and application of strategic business management
- The practice of asset operation and maintenance
- The measures to deliver effective and efficient customer service
- The management of human resources
- The principles of financial management
- The role of management support system
Students at the end of the module should be able to:
- Critically appraise the existing procedures for operational management and suggest improvements.
- Undertake the critical evaluation of alternative proposals for operational and customer service development to solve business, customer, shareholder and regulatory problems.
- Confidently liaise with other professionals, customers and regulators on operational management and customer service issues.