Postgraduate programmes

Prospective taught postgraduates

Agusta Westland helicopter in workshop

If you are unable to find the required information, please contact us.

Visiting the Department

Access to the Queen's Building is strictly regulated and only authorised persons are permitted entry. Accordingly, if you wish to visit the Department it is necessary to make a prior appointment and not turn up unexpectedly. Prospective PhD students from the UK should first make contact with a member of academic staff with whom they share a research interest. An invitation to the Department, where they will have the opportunity to see the facilities and talk to prospective research advisers, can then be arranged.

When and how to apply

Application to register for a higher degree can be at any time. However, when the applicant also wishes to be considered for an EPSRC studentship or a University Scholarship, applications are best submitted from October through January The number of funded graduate research positions available in the Department, starting 1st October, is usually known by the end of the academic year.

If you wish to be considered for admission as a postgraduate research student in the Department you must complete an online application form. Should you experience any problems, please use the online help function. If this does not resolve your query, please contact us at pg-admissions@bristol.ac.uk

Please note that applications can only be considered on receipt of a completed application form, two academic references, a copy of your degree certificate (if available) and a transcript of grades/marks. If your first degree is not yet complete transcripts of your marks to date should be submitted, and – preferably – an indication of your expected degree classification should be given in one of your references. You will also need to provide a detailed research proposal or a list of your research interests (this will help us identify potential supervisors for you).

The International Office provides Information for international applicants including entry requirements and overseas equivalent qualifications and language requirements

Accommodation

The University Accommodation and Welfare Office is open throughout the year and staff are experienced in helping with every kind of student accommodation problem. There are various accommodation options for new postgraduate students.

Contact us

Visit the PG Virtual Open Day

Prospective research postgraduates

Through studying for a research-based MSc or PhD programme, there is potential to specialise in a preferred area of interest and gain more in-depth knowledge and experience before moving into your chosen career. Your choice of course and university is an important decision and we hope the links on this site will answer any questions you may have about Aerospace Engineering at Bristol and what it is like to study here. If we can be of any further help, please feel free to contact the relevant admissions tutor via email at: fen-pgadmissions@bristol.ac.uk

Higher degrees by research

Research degrees at PhD or MSc level can be supported by Departmental staff working in a number of research groups.

  • PhD: minimum period of study three years full-time or six years part-time
  • MSc: minimum period of study one year full-time or two years part-time

Engineering postgraduates may register directly for PhD, subject to satisfactory annual progress.

A 4-year ACCIS CDT PhD programme is offered which includes a taught element that will fast-track graduates with engineering, science and mathematics backgrounds to acquire multidisciplinary skills by providing state-of-the-art courses including exploration of the interfaces between science and engineering to develop next generation multifunctional composite materials.  Please visit the link for more information:

CDT in Advanced Composites for Innovation and Science

The EngD programme in Composites Manufacture is a four-year postgraduate research programme, and is undertaken as a partnership between industry and academia. EngD students (Research Engineers) spend 75 percent of their time at their sponsoring company carrying out an industrially focused research project, while the remaining 25 percent of their time is dedicated to specialist training which is delivered at the National Composites Centre in Bristol.  Please visit the links for more information.

EngD in Composites Manufacture

Aerospace research

Visit the PG Virtual Open Day