Professor Paul Grout
Paul Grout is Professor of Political Economy at the University of Bristol.
He is also a Non-Executive Director of Ofgem (the UK energy regulator), a member of Ofgem's Remuneration Committee and the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee, is the Senior Advisor on Competition at the Bank of England and a member of Ofcom's (the UK regulator of communication indistries) Academic Panel.
He was founding director of the Centre for Market and Public Organisation; was a member of the Executive Committee, Council and trustee of the Royal Economic Society; the inaugural Tinbergen Research Fellow at the Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis, was on the Editorial Board of the Review for Economic Studies and director of the Review of Economic Studies Ltd for many years; and is a Research Fellow of CEPR.
He has advised many UK and international government departments and public bodies; has been advisor to the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee; and a member of a CBI Taskforce. Recent keynote addresses include speeches at the World Bank; IESE (Barcelona); and European Commission’s EuroSocial Taxation Conference (Mexico).
Paul's main research interests are in public economics, law and economics, and finance and he has published extensively in these fields (e.g., in Econometrica, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Public Economics, American Bar Association).
Fields of interest
Regulation and Competition, Law and Economics, Finance
- Grout, P, 2016, Incomplete Contracts and Not for Profit Firms. in: Philippe Aghion, Matthias Dewatripont, Patrick Legros, Luigi Zingales (eds) The Impact of Incomplete Contracts on Economics. Oxford University Press
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2015, Stock market risk in the financial crisis. International Review of Financial Analysis, vol 46., pp. 326-345
- Dickinson, S, Humphry, D, Siciliani, P, Straughan, M & Grout, P, 2015, The Prudential Regulation Authority's Secondary Competition Objective. Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, vol 55., pp. 334-343
- Grout, PA, Mitraille, SY & Sonderegger, SMIA, 2015, The Costs and Benefits of Coordinating with a Different Group. Journal of Economic Theory, vol 160., pp. 517-535
- Grout, PA, Zalewska, A & Garside, LBE, 2013, Does experience make you ‘tougher’? Evidence from competition law. The Economic Journal, vol 123., pp. 474-490
- Grout, PA, Jenkins, AG & Zalewska, A, 2013, Regulatory valuation of public utilities: A case study of the 20th century.. Business History.
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2012, The effect of option granting on executive stock purchases. Economics Letters, vol 114., pp. 12 - 15
- Gregg, P, Grout, P, Ratcliffe, A, Smith, S & Windmeijer, F, 2011, How important is pro-social behaviour in the delivery of public services?. Journal of Public Economics, vol 95., pp. 758 - 766
- Grout, P & A., Z, 2008, Measuring the Rate of Return for Competition Law. Journal of Competition Law and Economics, vol 4., pp. 155 - 176
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S, 2008, The Quest for Cartels. in: WD Collins (eds) Issues in Competition Law and Policy, Vol I. American Bar Association, pp. 1085 - 1106
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2008, Profitability Measures. in: WD Collins (eds) Issues in Competition Law and Policy, Vol I. American Bar Association, pp. 373 - 392
- Grout, P, Jewitt, I & Sonderegger, S, 2007, Governance Reform in Legal Service Markets. The Economic Journal, vol 117 (519)., pp. C93 - C113
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S, 2007, Structural Approaches to Cartel Detection. in: Ehlermann , C-D , I Atanasiu (eds) European Competition Law Annual: 2006. Enforcement of Prohibition of Cartels. Hart Publishing, pp. 83 - 103
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2006, The impact of regulation on market risk. Journal of Financial Economics, vol 80 (1)., pp. 149 - 184
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S, 2006, Simple money-based tests for choosing between private and public delivery: a discussion of the issues. Review of Industrial Organization, vol 29 (1-2)., pp. 93 - 126
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2005, On the Undervaluation of Privatized Companies. Economics Letters, vol 86(2)., pp. 215 - 220
- Grout, P & Park, I-U, 2005, Competitive planned obsolescence. RAND Journal of Economics, vol 36 (3)., pp. 596 - 612
- Grout, P, Yong, M & Flockton, C, 2005, Financial Regulation and Supervision. in: Compston (eds) Handbook of Public Policy in Europe. Palgrave
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S, 2005, Predicting Cartels (OFT 773). Office of Fair Trading
- Grout, P & Park, I-U, 2004, Promoting competition in the presence of essential facilities. International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol 22 (10)., pp. 1415 - 1441
- Grout, P, Jenkins, A & Zalewska, A, 2004, Privatisation of utilities and the asset value problem. European Economic Review, vol 48 (4)., pp. 927 - 941
- Grout, P, 2004, Defining a Price Squeeze in Competition Law. in: E Hope (eds) The Pros and Cons of Low Prices. Swedish Competition Authority
- Grout, P, 2003, Public and private sector discount rates in public-private partnerships. Economic Journal, vol 113 (486)., pp. C62 - C68
- Grout, P & Stevens, M, 2003, Financing and Managing Public Services: An Assessment. CMPO Working Paper 03/076, University of Bristol
- Grout, P & Yong, M, 2003, The Role of Donated Labour and Not-For-Profits at the Public Private Interface. CMPO Working Paper 03/074, University of Bristol
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A, 2003, Do Regulatory Changes Affect Market Risk?. LIFE Working Paper 03/022, University of Bristol
- Grout, P & Stevens, M, 2003, The Assessment: Financing and Managing Public Services. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol Volume 19., pp. 215 - 234
- Grout, P, 2003, Is There Real Missing Risk in Public Private Partnerships?. Public Private Finance.
- Grout, PA, 1997, The Economics of the private finance iniative. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol 13., pp. 53-66
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system