Professor Paul Grout
Paul Grout is Professor of Political Economy at the University of Bristol. His main research interests are in public economics, law and economics, and finance and he has published extensively in these fields (e.g., in Econometrica, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Public Economics, American Bar Association).
He is also a Non-Executive Director of Ofgem (the UK energy regulator), a member of Ofgem's Remuneration Committee and the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee, is the Senior Advisor on Competition at the Bank of England and a member of Ofcom's (the UK regulator of communication indistries) Academic Panel.
He was founding director of the Centre for Market and Public Organisation; was a member of the Executive Committee, Council and trustee of the Royal Economic Society; the inaugural Tinbergen Research Fellow at the Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis, was on the Editorial Board of the Review for Economic Studies and director of the Review of Economic Studies Ltd for many years; and is a Research Fellow of CEPR.
He has advised many UK and international government departments and public bodies; has been advisor to the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee; and a member of a CBI Taskforce. Recent keynote addresses include speeches at the World Bank; IESE (Barcelona); and European Commission’s EuroSocial Taxation Conference (Mexico).
Fields of interest
Public Organisation, Law and Economics, Finance
- Grout, PA, Zalewska, A & Garside, LBE 2013, Does experience make you ‘tougher’? Evidence from competition law. The Economic Journal, vol 123., pp. 474-490
- Grout, PA, Jenkins, AG & Zalewska, A 2013, Regulatory valuation of public utilities: A case study of the 20th century.. Business History.
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A 2012, The effect of option granting on executive stock purchases. Economics Letters, vol 114., pp. 12 - 15
- Gregg, P, Grout, P, Ratcliffe, A, Smith, S & Windmeijer, F 2011, How important is pro-social behaviour in the delivery of public services?. Journal of Public Economics, vol 95., pp. 758 - 766
- Grout, P & A., Z 2008, Measuring the Rate of Return for Competition Law. Journal of Competition Law and Economics, vol 4., pp. 155 - 176
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S 2008, The Quest for Cartels. in: WD Collins (eds) Issues in Competition Law and Policy, Vol I. American Bar Association, pp. 1085 - 1106
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A 2008, Profitability Measures. in: WD Collins (eds) Issues in Competition Law and Policy, Vol I. American Bar Association, pp. 373 - 392
- Grout, P, Jewitt, I & Sonderegger, S 2007, Governance Reform in Legal Service Markets. The Economic Journal, vol 117 (519)., pp. C93 - C113
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S 2007, Structural Approaches to Cartel Detection. in: Ehlermann , C-D , I Atanasiu (eds) European Competition Law Annual: 2006. Enforcement of Prohibition of Cartels. Hart Publishing, pp. 83 - 103
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S 2006, Simple money-based tests for choosing between private and public delivery: a discussion of the issues. Review of Industrial Organization, vol 29 (1-2)., pp. 93 - 126
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A 2006, The impact of regulation on market risk. Journal of Financial Economics, vol 80 (1)., pp. 149 - 184
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A 2005, On the Undervaluation of Privatized Companies. Economics Letters, vol 86(2)., pp. 215 - 220
- Grout, P & Sonderegger, S 2005, Predicting Cartels (OFT 773). Office of Fair Trading
- Grout, P & Park, I-U 2005, Competitive planned obsolescence. RAND Journal of Economics, vol 36 (3)., pp. 596 - 612
- Grout, P, Yong, M & Flockton, C 2005, Financial Regulation and Supervision. in: Compston (eds) Handbook of Public Policy in Europe. Palgrave
- Grout, P, Jenkins, A & Zalewska, A 2004, Privatisation of utilities and the asset value problem. European Economic Review, vol 48 (4)., pp. 927 - 941
- Grout, P & Park, I-U 2004, Promoting competition in the presence of essential facilities. International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol 22 (10)., pp. 1415 - 1441
- Grout, P 2004, Defining a Price Squeeze in Competition Law. in: E Hope (eds) The Pros and Cons of Low Prices. Swedish Competition Authority
- Grout, P 2003, Public and private sector discount rates in public-private partnerships. Economic Journal, vol 113 (486)., pp. C62 - C68
- Grout, P & Stevens, M 2003, The Assessment: Financing and Managing Public Services. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol Volume 19., pp. 215 - 234
- Grout, P 2003, Is There Real Missing Risk in Public Private Partnerships?. Public Private Finance.
- Grout, P & Zalewska, A 2003, Do Regulatory Changes Affect Market Risk?. LIFE Working Paper 03/022, University of Bristol
- Grout, P & Stevens, M 2003, Financing and Managing Public Services: An Assessment. CMPO Working Paper 03/076, University of Bristol
- Grout, P & Yong, M 2003, The Role of Donated Labour and Not-For-Profits at the Public Private Interface. CMPO Working Paper 03/074, University of Bristol
- Grout, PA 1997, The Economics of the privet finance iniative. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol 13., pp. 53-66
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system