Dr Mary Phillips
Mary has been a member of the Department of Management since 2000 and prior to that completed her PhD (in literary studies) and taught at the University of Reading.
Her research is focused on developing an ethico-politics of organization that encompasses gender and the corporeal body. This work is informed by post-structuralist feminisms and in particular that of Helene Cixous, Julia Kristeva and Judith Butler. Currently, she is working on ecofeminist/corporeal responses to organizational environmentalism. She is editing a book, Contemporary Perspectives on Ecofeminism, to be published by Routledge in 2015, drawing together scholarly approaches from a number of disciplines to explore the contribution of ecofeminist approaches to resolving ecological problems. She is also working with artists and creative writers as a way of fostering affective re-engagements with nature. Previous work has included the ethico-political dimensions of leadership and entrepreneurship.
Mary's research area webpage
Fields of interest
Critical and Cultural theory in organisation studies, ecofeminism, gender, corporeality
- Phillips, ME 2014, Re-writing corporate environmentalism: Ecofeminism, corporeality and the language of feeling. Gender, Work and Organization.
- Phillips, ME, Pullen, A & Rhodes, C 2013, Writing organization as gendered practice: Interrupting the libidinal economy. Organization Studies.
- Phillips, M 2012, On being green & being enterprising: narrative and the ecopreneurial self. Organization, vol Online.
- Phillips, M & Knowles, D 2012, Performance and performativity: Undoing fictions of women business owners. Gender, Work and Organisation, vol 19., pp. 416-437
- Phillips, M & Rippin, A 2010, Howard and the mermaid: abjection and the Starbucks' Foundation memoir. Organization, vol 17., pp. 481 - 499
- Phillips, M 2015, Re-ethicizing corporate greening? Ecofeminism, activism and the ethics of care. in: Alison Pullen, Carl Rhodes (eds) The Routledge Companion to Ethics, Politics and Organizations. routledge, London, pp. 51-66
- Phillips, M 2014, Leadership, eroticism and abjection: Star Trek and the Borg Queen. in: Donna Ladkin, Steven S Taylor (eds) The Physicality of Leadership: Gesture, Entanglement, Taboo, Possibilities. Emerald, Bingley, pp. 155-175
- Phillips, M & Rippin, A 2010, Striving to uncover a lost heritage: Reclaiming women in management and organisational history. Management & Organizational History, vol 5., pp. 283 - 295
- Phillips, M 2010, A tale of a dog: medieval women organising through myth and ritual. Management & Organizational History, vol 5., pp. 296 - 313
- Phillips, M 2010, From The Waste Land to Past-present Fuschia: The re-development of the Broadmead Shopping Centre. Culture and Organization, vol 16., pp. 259 - 282
- Phillips, M 2009, 'Mr Data I need you on the bridge': Eroticism, leadership and Star Trek. in: SCOS XXVI, Copenhagen.
- Phillips, M, Rhodes, C & Pullen, A 2009, ‘Out of Sight’: Reflexivity and gender in the methodology and politics of organization studies. in: 25th EGOS Colloquium, Barcelona.
- Phillips, M 2008, Tycoon philanthropy: Power and the annihilation of excess. in: D Crowther, N Capaldi (eds) Research companion to corporate social responsibility. Ashgate, pp. 249 - 266
- Phillips, M 2007, Midwives vs medics: A seventeenth-century professional turf war. Management & Organizational History, vol 2(1)., pp. 27 - 44
- Phillips, M 2007, A League of Gentlemen: The Institute of the Motor Industry. Culture and Organization, vol 13 (4)., pp. 283 - 296
- Phillips, M 2006, Putting Evidence into Practice: An Evidence-Based Practice Approach to Continuing Professional Development. Evidence and Policy, vol 2(1)., pp. 27 - 45
- Phillips, M 2006, Growing pains: the sustainability of social enterprises. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, vol 7 (4)., pp. 221 - 230
- Phillips, M 2005, Ecopreneurs Making (Green) Sense: Reflections on Two Case Studies. in: British Academy of Management Conference, Oxford.
- Phillips, M 2005, A Gentlemanly Body: The (Excessive) Case of the Institute for the Motor Industry. in: Standing Conference on Organizational Symbolism: Excess and Organization, Nijmegen.
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2004, Balancing strategy and accountability: a model for the governance of professional associations. Nonprofit Management & Leadership, vol 15 (2)., pp. 187 - 204
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2004, Continuing professional development: developing a vision. Journal of Education and Work, vol 17 (3)., pp. 361 - 376
- Phillips, M, Doheny, S, Gilbert, T & Hearn, C 2004, The Impact of CPD. Consortium of Professional Bodies
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2003, Governance of Professional Associations: The Players and Processes. PARN
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2003, 'Mission-oriented entrepreneurs'. in: Small Business & Entrepreneurship Development Conference.
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2003, 'Codes of conduct in the professions: Do they meet the challenge?'. in: Ethical Challenges for Tomorrow's Graduates.
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2003, 'Balancing strategy and accountability: a model for the governance of professional associations'. in: Academy of Management Conference.
- Phillips, M, Watts, D & Friedman, A 2003, 'The Complaints and Disciplinary Procedures of Professional Associations'. Report to the Nuffield Foundation
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2002, The role of mentoring in the CPD programmes of professional associations. International Journal of Lifelong Education, vol 21., pp. 269 - 284
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Cruickshank, I 2002, 'Promoting Good Practice CPD on the Internet'. Report to DfES
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Chan, M 2002, 'Report on the Governance of Five Professional Associations'. Report to BCS, CIPS, ILTHE, ICAEW and R3
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2002, 'Mission-Oriented, High-Growth, Medium-Sized Firms in Bristol: Definition and Limits to Growth'. Report to Business Link West
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Cruickshank, I 2002, Continuing Professional Development: Evaluation of Good Practice. PARN
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Cruickshank, I 2002, The Membership Structures of UK Professional Associations. PARN
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Chan, M 2002, Governance of Professional Associations: The Structure and Role of the Governing Body. PARN
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Timlett, R 2002, The Ethical Codes of UK Professional Associations. PARN
- Phillips, M & Friedman, A 2001, 'Leaping the CPD hurdle: A study of the barriers and drivers to participation in Continuing Professional Development'. in: British Educational Research Association Conference.
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Davis, K 2001, Continuing Professional Development in the UK: Attitudes & Experiences of Practitioners. PARN
- Friedman, A & Phillips, M 2001, Servicing the High-Growth, Mission Oriented, Medium Sized Firm: The Role of Professional Services in Supporting and Stimulating Innovation. Bristol Chamber of Commerce
- Phillips, M 2001, 'Ethical Codes of UK Professional Associations'. Sustainability First
- Phillips, M 2001, 'Membership Requirements and Grade Structures of UK Professional Associations'. Report to Sustainability First
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M, Durkin, C & Davis, K 2001, Individual Professional Learning in Practice and on the Internet. Department for Education and Employment
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M, Durkin, C & Davis, K 2000, Continuting Professional Development in the UK: Policies & Programmes. PARN
- Phillips, M & Brown, C 2000, Research Centres in Humanities Subject Areas in British Universities: An Example from English Studies. in: MD Biddis, I Rowe, S Peters (eds) The Kultur und Erkenntnis series. Franke Verlag
- Friedman, A, Phillips, M & Durkin, C 2000, 'CPD: What are the true costs of Continuing Professional Development?'. Journal of Continuing Professional Development, vol 3., pp. 78 - 87
- Phillips, M 1999, 'St. Guinefort the dog saint'. in: Conference on Animals in History & Culture.
- Phillips, M 1999, Recusant Confessions and the (En)gendering of Disclosure. Critical Survey, vol 11., pp. 66 - 82
- Phillips, M 1998, "No part of her body was free from wounds": Penitential saints & recusancy. in: Conference on The Body of Truth.
- Phillips, M 1998, 'The (en)gendering of recusant confession'. in: International Conference on the English Renaissance.
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system