Professor Leroy White
Leroy White’s main research interests are management science/operational research, problem structuring methods, social network analysis, strategic partnerships, large group decision-making, public and community involvement, public sector working and public sector management.
He has worked with a range of clients including the Department of Health, local health authorities, health trusts, and the voluntary sector in both the UK and abroad. He has published a number of papers on the process of operational research, partnerships, systems thinking, large group processes, and has also had a book published (jointly with Ann Taket) by Wiley called 'Partnerships and Participation'. His current funded research work include ESRC KTP with Barclays Bank, British Academy award for field experiment in the BBC, and ESRC Capacity Building Cluster on the impact of the third sector.
Leroy's research area webpage
Fields of interest
Operational Research, Problem Structuring Methods, Social Network Analysis, Strategic Partnerships
- Currie, G & White, L 2012, Knowledge brokering across organizational and occupational boundaries: The case of healthcare. Organization Studies, vol 33., pp. 1333-1361
- White, LA, Currie, G & Lockett, A 2014, The enactment of pluralized leadership in a health and social care network: The influence of institutional context. The Leadership Quarterly, vol 25., pp. 730-745
- Yearworth, M & White, LA 2014, The non-codified use of Problem Structuring Methods and the need for a generic constitutive definition. European Journal of Operational Research, vol 237., pp. 932-945
- Wang, X, White, LA & Chen, X 2015, Call for Papers: Big Data Research for the Knowledge Economy: Past, Present, and Future. Industrial Management and Data Systems.
- Wang, X, Chan, HK & White, LA 2014, A comprehensive decision support model for the evaluation of eco-designs. Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol 65., pp. 917-934
- Burger, KM, Yearworth, M & White, LA 2014, Structuring investment decisions for smart city transitions.
- Yearworth, M & White, LA 2014, Refining a generic constitutive definition of PSMs through the use of quantitative data.
- Yearworth, M & White, LA 2013, The uses of qualitative data in multimethodology: Developing causal loop diagrams during the coding process. European Journal of Operational Research, vol 231., pp. 151-161
- Yearworth, M & White, LA 2013, Axiomatic Formulation of Problem Structuring? Methods to Principles. in: 26th European Conference on Operational Research (EURO 2013), Rome, Italy..
- White, L 2011, Operational Research for Development. European Jounal of Operational Research, vol 208., pp. 1 - 11
- White, L & Doust, [V 2011, Coaching into employment. Evaluation of the in work staying better off programme. Crisis UK
- White, L & Mingers, J 2010, A review of the recent contribution of systems thinking to operational research and management science. European Journal of Operational Research., pp. 1147 - 1161
- White, L, Davis, J & MacDonald, A 2010, Problems structuring and project management. Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol 61., pp. 893 - 904
- White, L & kyoo, kb 2010, Green Energy and Green Management: Towards Social Responsibility and Sustainability. Journal of Nanoelectronics and Optoelectyronics, vol 5., pp. 105 - 110
- Currie, G, Howell, T & White, L 2010, Comparative evaluation of children’s services networks: Overcoming professional, organisational and sector boundaries in paediatric nephrology, child protection and Cleft lip & palate networks. NHS National Institute for Health Research
- White, L & Christopoulos, D 2010, The Public Sector as Broker. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol 10., pp. 130 - 139
- White, L & Lee, G 2009, Operational research and sustainable development: tackling the social dimension. European Journal of Operational Research, vol 193 ., pp. 683 - 692
- White, L 2009, Understanding problem structuring methods interventions. European Journal of Operational Research, vol 199 ., pp. 823 - 833
- White, L 2009, Challenge of research ethics committees to the nature of operations research. Omega-International Journal of Management Science, vol 37 (6)., pp. 1083 - 1088
- White, L 2008, Connecting organizations: developing the idea of network learning in inter-organizational settings. Systems research and behavioral science, vol 25 (6)., pp. 701 - 716
- White, L & Bourne, R 2007, Voices and values: linking values with participation in OR/MS in public policy making. Omega: International Journal of Management Science, vol 35 (5)., pp. 588 - 603
- White, L 2006, Evaluating problem-structuring methods: developing an approach to show the value and effectiveness of PSMs. Journal of the Operational Research Society (Special Issue: Problem Structuring Methods), vol 57 (7)., pp. 842 - 855
- White, L 2006, Aesthetics in OR/Systems Practice: Towards a Concept of Critical Imagination as a Challenge to Systems Thinking. Systems Research and Behavioural Science, vol 23(6)., pp. 779 - 791
- Germer, K, O'Reilly, D & White, L 2005, Children Missing Education in London: Systems and Issues. London Challenge Design Collaborative on Children Missing Education
- Germer, K, O'Reilly, D & White, L 2005, Involving Local People in the Regeneration of the Neighbourhoods of Poplar and Bromley by Bow. Poplar HARCA, the Bromley by Bow Centre and the Housing Corporation
- O'Reilly, D & White, L 2005, Sure Start on the Ocean Evaluation. Sure Start
- White, L 2005, Connecting Organisations: Towards a Concept of Network Learning. in: YOR.
- O'Reilly, D & White, L 2005, Structures and Functions; Benefits and Drawbacks: the Voluntary and Community Sector's Relations to Area-Based Initiatives. in: NCVO/VSSN Research the Voluntary Sector, University of Warwick, 31st Aug - 1st Sept.
- White, L 2005, Can partnerships and participation achieve improvements in the health system?. International Journal of Services Technology and Management, vol forthcoming.
- White, L, Honeywell, M, Youll, P & Kelleher, J 2004, Conflict is Inevitable, Civil Disturbance is Not: Report on the Evaluation of the Community Facilitation Programme. Neighbourhood Renewal Unit, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
- White, L & Taket, A 2004, Playing with PANDA: the CybOrg and the Rhizome. in: Midgley , Ochoa-Arias (eds) Community Operational Research: Systems Thinking for Community Development. Amsterdam: Kluger
- White, L, Maragh, R & Hayward, J 2004, Remodelling Services for Looked After Children in Newham. in: Proceedings of the UK Public Health Associations.
- White, L 2003, The role of systems research and operational research in community involvement: a case study of a health action zone. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, vol 20., pp. 133 - 145
- White, L & Barnes, R 2003, 'Report on the Health Needs of the North Fulham Estate'. North Fulham New Deal for Communities
- White, L & Cant, B 2003, 'Social networks, social support, health and HIV-positive men'. Health & Social Care in the Community, vol 11., pp. 329 - 334
- White, L, Lewis, H & Rudolph, M 2003, 'Rapid appraisal of the health needs of the Hillbrow Community, South Africa'. International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management, vol 5., pp. 20 - 34
- White, L 2003, 'Voices and values: thinking about OR and systems in public policy marketing'. in: Proceedings of the Critical Management Conference.
- White, L 2002, 'Report on the Community Involvement and Partnership Strategy'. Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley Primary Care Trust, Kent
- White, L 2002, 'Connection matters: Exploring the implications of social capital and social networks for social policy'. Systems Research and Behavioural Science, vol 19., pp. 255 - 269
- White, L 2002, 'Interim report on the Evaluation of the Sure on the Ocean'. Sure Start, Ocean Estate, London
- White, L & Harding, O 2002, 'Report on a case study of collaboration within a Health Action Zone project'. LSL HAZ, London
- White, L 2002, Size matters: large group methods and the process of operational research. Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol 53 (2)., pp. 149 - 160
- White, L 2002, 'Report on the Evaluation of the Health Projects in the Sure on the Ocean'. Sure Start, Ocean Estate, London
- White, L 2002, 'Community Matters: Manual for Community Involvement'. Camden and Islington Health Action Zone, London
- White, L 2002, 'The architecture of the process of OR'. in: XII International Conference of the International Federation of Operations Research Societies.
- White, L 2002, 'Interim report on the Evaluation of Southwark Children's Fund'. Southwark Children's Fund, London
- White, L & Barker, J 2001, 'Taking evidence based medicine on Trust: GPs' views on clinical effectiveness evidence and evidence based medicine in primary care'. in: GMeads , TMeads (eds) Trust in Experience: Transferable Learning for Primary Care Trusts. Radcliffe Medical
- White, L 2001, Bromley Connected Communities Report on Research into Community Networks. Community Safety Partnership, London Borough of Bromley
- White, L 2001, 'Effective governance' through complexity thinking and management science. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, vol 18 (3)., pp. 241 - 257
- White, L 2001, 'Report on the Evaluation of GP Triage'. Bromley Health Authority
- White, L 2001, 'Community Involvement and Patnership Mapping'. Camden and Islington Health Action Zone, London
- White, L & O'Donnell, C 2001, 'Working children and accidents: Understanding the risks'. Child: Care Health and Development, vol 27., pp. 23 - 34
- White, L & Taket, A 2000, Partnership and Participation: Decision-Making in the Multiagency Setting. Wiley & Sons
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system