Student Support


If your booking cannot be accommodated in the Students' Union then requests should be made via the LFM room booking form. We do not book rooms during university holidays. Student Groups are welcome to use Centralised Teaching Spaces but must adhere to university regulations. 

How do room bookings Work?

All University rooms are booked via Syllabus+ whether by LFM, for student groups or Web Room Bookings (WRB) for staff only. Only university staff are permitted to use WRB but they must not book rooms for Student Groups.

Student Groups registered with the SU and wanting to book Centralised Teaching Space MUST book through LFM. Once you have submitted a booking form, it will be processed by LFM.

If you have requested a specific room, we will attempt to book it for you, however, this may not always be possible due to existing bookings, building closing hours and capacity. If this happens we will book you an alternative room which may be elsewhere on campus.

If you have External Speakers we will book you a room, but before we release it to your group, you must forward us the authorisation email from the SU.

Your booking may be cancelled without notice if you do not book through LFM.

When using Teaching Spaces you must ensure that you leave the desks and chairs as indicated by the A3 room notice photos.

When completing a Room Booking Form, please make use of the Building Opening Times document to ensure that your request is possible.

If your query is not covered here then please contact and we will be happy to help.

How much notice do I need to give for an event request?

The minimum notice period between placing the request and the date of the booking is 2 weeks.

We cannot process requests with less than 2 weeks notice due to several important factors:

  • portering requirements - ensuring that there is appropriate staffing to set-up, and set-down, space and to oversee the event
  • cleaning requirements - likewise, all space needs to be thoroughly cleaned (in some cases ready for teaching the following day)
  • AV requirements - specific AV needs have to be sorted ahead of the booking
  • heath and safety - we need to assess all booking requests for appropriateness
  • miscellaneous - behind the scenes efforts are often required to ensure appropriate heating etc.

While we appreciate that student groups may face circumstances whereby they cannot place the booking within the notice period societies should also appreciate that, in these instances, we, too, cannot get all of our requirements in place in time for the booking.

What costs will be incurred?

Costs will vary depending on various different factors:

  • choice of building/location
  • date, time and duration
  • number of attendees
  • whether the event is charged on entry, or not
  • choice of AV facilities package
  • cancellation

Costs will be outlined by the Assistant Site Services Manager prior to the event.

What is the policy on food and drink in rooms?

Absolutely no food/hot-drinks/catering/alcohol are allowed in teaching spaces.

Foyer space, and other non-teaching space, may permit catering. Catering requirements should always be discussed with

What is the policy on cancelling an event?

If you need to cancel or change your booking you must inform as soon as possible. If you do no give sufficient warning of cancellation then you will be liaible for the extra staffing costs, regardless of whether the event takes place.

Why have we been told to go via the University Conference Office?

Some events lend themselves to being orchestrated and overseen by the University's official Conference Office, as opposed to just getting the location/portering/equipment arranged by ourselves. For example:

Large events (in the hundreds), which include numerous external attendees (ie. other Universities etc.) and the general public, should go via the Conference Office.

Likewise, this is also the case for particularly logistically complex events (with various elements, catering, locations etc.).

Can we screen films?

No. While all of the lecture theatres are equipped to show DVDs and videos, showing of films outside of structured teaching can put us in breach of copyright.

All film screenings should go via the Student Union.

How you can help us

  • Return the layout of tables and chairs to that of the Room Layout poster before you leave

  • If using Web Room Bookings to book a space for a staff meeting, and you intend to have catering, you must select the tab 'Catering/Refreshments Permitted' in the right-hand column. Very few of the teaching spaces permit food, and they are specifically set-up for teaching

  • Make safe use of the services made available to you and observe University regulations

  • Familiarise yourself before you start the session with the Fire Evacuation route poster displayed

  • Familiarise yourself with the equipment in advance of its use & report damaged or faulty equipment to the Service-desk so that it can be identified and rectified


Edit this page