University of Bristol statement in support of Bristol’s One City Climate Strategy 4 March 2020 The University of Bristol plays a key role in tackling environmental change through its research, its teaching and how it operates.
- Plant root hairs key to reducing soil erosion 3 April 2020 The tiny hairs found on plant roots play a pivotal role in helping reduce soil erosion, a new study has found. The research, led by the University of Bristol and published in Communications Biology, provides compelling evidence that when root hairs interact with the surrounding soil they reduce soil erosion and increase soil cohesion by binding soil particles.
- Global study shows how marine species respond as oceans warm 27 March 2020 A global analysis of over 300 marine species spanning more than 100 years, shows that mammals, plankton, fish, plants and seabirds have been changing in abundance as our climate warms.
- Bristol develops photosynthetic proteins for more sustainable solar-powered devices 24 March 2020 A team of scientists, led by the University of Bristol, has developed a new photosynthetic protein system enabling an enhanced and more sustainable approach to solar-powered technological devices.
- New ‘Conspiracy Theory Handbook’ aims to minimise harmful conspiracy theories 23 March 2020 Given the unhelpful surge of conspiracy theories circulating regarding Covid-19, a new ‘Conspiracy Theory Handbook’ is published this week. The book summarises the scientific research into conspiracy theories: why people believe them, the traits of conspiratorial thinking, and how to counter them.
- New insights into US flood vulnerability revealed from flood insurance big data 19 March 2020 An international team of scientists, led by the University of Bristol, has found that current estimates of flood risk rely upon methods for calculating flood damage which are inadequately verified and match poorly with observations.
- New agreement brings key Bristol organisations closer together 10 March 2020 A new agreement between Bristol City Council, the University of Bristol and the City Office has been agreed that will see closer working between the organisations in developing a city of hope and ambition.
- University of Bristol statement in support of Bristol’s One City Climate Strategy 4 March 2020 The University of Bristol plays a key role in tackling environmental change through its research, its teaching and how it operates.
- Subjects at the University of Bristol are among best in the world, new league table confirms 4 March 2020 A new league table has placed many of the University of Bristol’s courses among the best in the world.
- Bristol discovery is significant step toward developing electronics for extreme energy efficiency 4 March 2020 Researchers at the University of Bristol have come up with a new type of nanoelectromechanical relay to enable reliable, high-temperature, non-volatile memory.
- Tropical forests’ carbon sink is already rapidly weakening 4 March 2020 The ability of the world’s tropical forests to remove carbon from the atmosphere is decreasing, according to a study tracking 300,000 trees over 30 years, published today in Nature.