Outreach in Biomedical Sciences
Faculty outreach on film
From visits to schools to public science festivals, we aim to bring the University closer to the wider community.
Our adaptable sessions with primary and secondary schools, colleges and adults are perfect for a range of contexts. We can provide interactive teaching that links with the science curriculum, practical and hands-on activities, talks from scientists and other flexible teaching and learning opportunities to suit requirements. Sessions can be provided here at the University in our laboratories, lecture theatres and classrooms or we can visit your school, college or event.
Other outreach activities
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences is also involved in a range of other outreach activities including Bristol Neuroscience Festival, Access to Bristol, Biomedical Sciences Taster Days and Skirting Science.
Our outreach activities aim to include the different areas within the faculty and lend themselves to practicaland discussion-based sessions on:
- Biochemistry: the study of molecules in living things
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine: the study of causes and cures for diseases in humans
- Physiology: the study of normal body function, for example neuroscience (nervous system)
- Pharmacology: the study of how chemicals and medicines affect function
- Neuroscience: the study of the nervous system.
Examples of our recent outreach activities
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences has engaged with students across a range of ages and abilities from both nearby schools and further afield including Tewkesbury School, Redland Green Post-16 Centre and President Kennedy School, Coventry. These schools have taken part in lab sessions where activities have included learning about the physiology of the heart and lungs and meeting our Human Patient Simulator ‘STAN’.
As well as school visits we have also taken part in other outreach projects such as the Bristol Neuroscience Festival. The Festival was held here at the University and engaged 3,000 members of the public and students from local schools with a variety of talks, hands-on activities, research posters and a Sci-Art exhibition.
We have also been involved in ‘Skirting Science’ which is aimed at inspiring the next generation of female scientists. This year the Faculty will be providing two workshops at the event taking place in Weston-Super-Mare.
We regularly host talks for schools, given by academics from across the faculty about the cutting-edge medical research taking place in here in Bristol.
Outreach from the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences is generously sponsored by:
- the University of Bristol’s Centre for Public Engagement (Mobile Teaching Unit),
- the University of Bristol’s Alumni Foundation (facilitation of outreach),
- the Physiological Society (Mobile Teaching Unit),
- AD Instruments (Mobile Teaching Unit).
Get involved or find out more about outreach.