Academic transcripts

What are academic transcripts?

An academic transcript is an official document that shows:

  • The units which have been taken in each year of study
  • The assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit
  • The total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study
  • The degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable)

Transcripts can be provided in sealed envelopes with the University stamp to prove that the document is authentic.

Which transcripts can we provide?

The Faculty Education Office can provide transcripts for:

  • Undergraduate students who graduated in or after 2004.
  • Postgraduate taught students who graduated in or after 2000.

If you graduated before these dates, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide a full transcript. Please contact the Faculty Education Office (via or before making payment so that we can check our records.

Alternatively, students who graduated before these dates can request a confirmation of award from the Exams Office. See details below.

How much do transcripts cost?

Undergraduates and postgraduates are entitled to free copies of transcripts whilst they are registered students. Each graduating student will automatically be sent one free copy of the final transcript to their home address within two months of graduation. Please note that the policy of one free copy post graduation only began after 2008 therefore any students who graduated prior to 2008 and have not received a free copy will not be entitled to one.

Thereafter, our standard charges apply as follows: 

  • £10 for the first copy
  • £5 for each subsequent copy.

For students who graduated before the dates given above, where we are able to provide a transcript, a charge of £20 will apply for the first copy due to the time taken to search our records manually.

We regret that academic transcripts cannot be issued until payment, if appropriate, has been received.

How do I pay?

Payment can be made by:

  • Credit/debit cards: Card payments may be made via the online shop.
  • Cash: Paid directly to the Income Office, Ground Floor of Senate House.
  • Cheques: To be made payable to ‘University of Bristol’ and posted or brought to the admin team at the following address: Arts Faculty Education Office, 3-5 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TB.

How long will they take?

Normally transcripts are prepared within ten working days from the receipt of the application, except during busy periods (especially following graduation and the autumn term). It is therefore a good idea to order your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they are ready in time for any deadlines.

How can I apply for an academic transcript?

To request an academic transcript, please visit the Online Shop, where you can send us your details and make payment if required.

Alternatively you can email the Faculty Education Office on (Undergraduate) or (Postgraduate) to request a transcript.

When you receive your final award, you will be able to download your own copy of your final transcript. 

How can I create a bank letter?

The Open a bank account in the UK page has guidance on how to produce your bank letter.

What other documents can the Faculty Education Office provide?

The Faculty Education Office can also provide 'confirmation of student status' letters, visa letters, letters for council tax exemption and factual references. 

Verification of awards and replacement degree certificates

The Education Process Improvement and Records Team provide verification of awards and replacement degree certificates.

For further information, including fees payable, see the awards, certificates, results and verifications page.

If you have any queries you can contact the Education Process Improvement and Records Team by email:

Edit this page