Newton International Fellowships Scheme
- Applicant deadline: 27 March 2018
- Applications must be submitted to Finance at least 5 days prior to the deadline
- Results announced: approximately six months after closure of the call
- Awards available for start dates: October 2018 – March 2019
- About 40 Newton International Fellowships are offered each year
- Additional Fellowships awarded to individuals from Newton Fund countries.
- Newton Fund countries: Brazil, Mexico, South Africa, India and Turkey and China
- For more information, visit the website: www.newtonfellowships.org
Aim of the award
The Newton International Fellowships Scheme enables the very best early stage post-doctoral researchers from all over the world to work at UK research institutions for a period of two years.
Level of grant and tenure
Newton Fellowships last for two years. Funding consists of £24,000 per annum for subsistence costs, and up to £8,000 per annum research expenses, as well as a one-off payment of up to £2,000 for relocation expenses. Awards include a contribution to the overheads incurred by the hosting institution, at a rate of 50 per cent of the total award to the visiting researcher.
Applicants should have no more than seven years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application, be working outside the UK and not hold UK citizenship. Applicants must ensure that they meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
The scheme covers a broad range of the natural, physical, and social sciences, and the humanities. It also covers clinical and patient orientated research for applicants from Newton Fund partner countries except Turkey. Columbia tbc.
Additional Fellowships will be supported through the Newton Fund, specifically for applicants from Newton Fund partner countries. This new initiative aims to develop long-term sustainable growth and welfare of partner countries through building research and innovation capacity, and forms part of the UK's Official Development Assistance commitment. Newton Fund countries (for applications in the humanities and social sciences) include Brazil, India, Mexico, South Africa and China.
Applying for this scheme
- Potential applicant identifies a mentor and makes contact.
- Potential candidates submit a draft application and CV to appropriate School SRDs (see below).
- SRD will review draft with potential mentor to assess intellectual fit with Department.
- SRD advises applicant and Research Development Managers (RDMs) of decision.
- Applications submitted to funder one week before funder deadline of 27/03/2018