Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships
Aim of the award
Early Career Fellowships aim to provide career development opportunities for those who are at a relatively early stage of their academic careers, but who have a proven record of research. The expectation is that Fellows should undertake a significant piece of publishable work during their tenure, and that the Fellowships should lead to a more permanent academic position. Applications will be considered in all subject areas with the exception of research that is of direct relevance to clinicians, medical professionals and/or the pharmaceutical industry. Approximately 100 Fellowships will be available in 2018. Fellowships can be held at universities or at other institutions of higher education in the UK.
Level of grant and tenure
Fellowships are normally tenable for three years on a full-time basis, but requests to hold the award part-time over a proportionately longer period will be considered if this is appropriate for the nature of the research proposed and the career development of the individual. Fellowships will commence between 1 September 2018 and 1 May 2019.
- Applicants must not yet have held a full-time permanent academic post in a UK university or comparable UK institution
- Candidates who have been, or are currently a Principal Investigator on a 3-year post-doctoral research project, or have held or currently hold a comparable 3-year post-doctoral position to pursue their own research are not eligible to apply.
- All candidates must hold a doctorate or have equivalent research experience by the time they take up the Fellowship
- Applications are invited from those with a doctorate who had their doctoral viva not more than four years from the application closing date
- A candidate may submit only one application per year. Previously unsuccessful applicants may reapply. Candidates may not apply for both an Early Career Fellowship and a Study Abroad Studentship in the same year
Read the full eligibility notes and visit the Leverhulme web site.
Applying for this scheme
The internal selection process is as follows:
- Potetial applicants identify a potential mentor and make contact with them
- Potential candidates write a draft application with the help of their mentor and submit it, together with a CV, to the appropriate School Research Director (see below) - 6 December 2017
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a blank copy of the Leverhulme application form
- School Research Director/Schools will review drafst with potential mentors, to assess applicants' intellectual fit within the Department
- Schools select suitable candidates, rank them and forward applications to the Dean and Faculty Research Directors (FRDs) for the final selection of candidates - 13 December 2017
- The Faculty will support five candidates for submission to Leverhulme. The Dean and FRDs will advise SRDs of their final selection, and SRDs will notify candidates - 20 December 2017
- Research Development Managers (RDMs) will provide additional support and copies of successful bids to selected candidates
- Leverhulme call opens around 1 January 2018
- Applications are submitted to funder one week before the funder deadline of 4pm, 1 March 2018 02/03/17 (to be confirmed)