There are over 4,500 Bristol graduates residing in the US. The University of Bristol’s US Foundation helps them to stay connected to each other, as well as to the University itself.
The University of Bristol Foundation Inc exists in order to:
- Act as Bristol’s lead partner in the US;
- Advise and assist the Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) with the development of strategy and activity in the US;
- Work closely with DARO to deliver the US programme of activity and communications;
- Direct, oversee and support volunteer ‘Campaign Ambassadors’;
- Set fundraising targets in collaboration with DARO;
- Support and work closely with regional Bristol Network Leaders in the US to foster a growing network of active alumni volunteers across the USA.
The support of the University of Bristol US Foundation is crucial for many of DARO’s worthy causes. This includes the Sanctuary Scholarships programme, which provides funds to enable people from asylum-seeking and refugee communities to come and study at the University. The Foundation also plays an instrumental part in funding some of the University’s most crucial research and in supporting early career researchers to become leaders in their field. Support given to the University by the US Foundation has also greatly bolstered the work of the Cabot Institute and significantly advanced the University’s environmental work.
Supporters of the University of Bristol created the University of Bristol US Foundation in 1992. The foundation is governed by an independent board of directors. As well as organising events and championing the University in the US, the US Foundation Board of Directors decide how funds donated by US alumni should be used to benefit the University of Bristol.
The University of Bristol US Foundation is a US non-profit organisation, tax exempt under Section 501 (c)(3) of the US Internal Revenue Code. Gifts to the University of Bristol US Foundation are deductible to the extent allowed by law. All funds donated to the US Foundation Inc. are at the discretion of the Board and are also eligible for matched giving by many US corporations. The US Foundation is a United States Corporation organized in Massachusetts.