PhD Integrative Cardiovascular Science
Training the next generation of cardiovascular research leaders to produce significant impact for patient benefit and population health.
The programme will provide an opportunity to work at the interfaces between at least two disciplines.
You will learn how to apply the latest research methodology, techniques and knowledge to help patients and the wider public.
You will receive inter-disciplinary training from epidemiological, clinical, biological and translational experts across the University and the NHS, addressing important challenges of cardiovascular disease.
For key information, including programme structure, funding, staff profiles and entry requirements, please see the PhD Integrative Cardiovascular Science programme details.
Why study integrative cardiovascular science in Bristol?
Understanding the biology and medicine of the cardiovascular system now requires approaches that cross-bridge disciplines.
Bristol is uniquely equipped for interdisciplinary training, since the programme will be supported by a range of world-class resources and expertise. These include:
- World-leading academic cardiac surgery unit.
- NIHR Biomedical Research Centre in cardiovascular medicine.
- MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit.
- ALSPAC and other large cohort resources.
- Wolfson Bioimaging facility (for molecular, cellular and small animal model organisms).
- Translational Biomedical Research Centre operating at NHS standards (for in vivo longitudinal studies).
- Pre-clinical microPET/CT for in vivo evaluations in mouse/rat at the PETIC centre (Cardiff).
- Clinical Research Imaging Centre (for human imaging and mechanistic cardiovascular studies).
Projects provide the opportunity to combine the very latest molecular and cellular level techniques, with clinical and populational approaches.
Supervisors are from a range of schools within the University, including Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience, Translational Health Sciences and Population Health Sciences.
Bristol is a fantastic place to live with a lively cardiovascular science community.