Virtual work, study and volunteer opportunities
International travel might be difficult at the moment, but you can still gain valuable experience through a virtual international opportunity.
Tel: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
Office: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD
Office hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm
Book an online appointment
There a lots of opportunities to gain international experience without travelling abroad. You could take part in a virtual internship, an online summer school, or a remote volunteering programme.
There are many external organisations offering a wide variety of virtual opportunities. Below are some organisations that students have recommended. However, there are plenty more out there so do your research. Please note that, as these organisations are external, the University of Bristol cannot be held liable for any activity undertaken with them.
For virtual international opportunities that have a fee, you can apply for a Global Opportunities Scholarship of £500 to help cover the cost.
- Beijing Institute of Technology are offering two online summer programmes. You can choose between "Data Science and Big Data Technology" or "Chinese Language and Culture." These two week online programmes are an opportunity to study at one of China's top universities and connect with students from all over the world. The University of Bristol will cover the programme fee of CNY1,000 for 10 students. Find out more, including how to apply, here. Make sure you include "University of Bristol" in the recommnendation section of the application form. Application deadline: 31st May 2021.
- UC Berkeley's Global Leadership and Innovation Virtual Program is a two-week interactive training ground for aspiring leaders and innovators. You will hear from leaders at companies and startups in the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicone Valley. Working with students from around the world, you will solve group challanges and collaborate on business simulations. Application deadline: 18th June 2021.
- Think Pacific run youth development projects in Fiji. Join their Virtual Internship Programme to engage with communities in Fiji and gain experience in the international development sector, without travelling overseas. There are 20 fully-funded scholarships available. Application deadline: 20th June 2021.
- AIESEC is a global platform for young people to find international volunteering or internship placements to help develop their leadership potential.
Work / internships
- Virtual Internships offer remote internships which you can choose to do full-time over 4 weeks or part-time over 2, 3 or 4 months. You can choose your preferred career field and the country you would like your host company to be based in.
- The Intern Group can find you an remote internship in 5 different continents so you can gain international work experience from home. There is a $300 discount for Bristol students.