Other opportunities to go abroad
You can arrange your own international experiences: perhaps a study programme, internship or volunteering opportunity. You might also want to challenge yourself: maybe to climb a mountain or trek in the jungle.
There are many organsiations offering a wide variety of opportunities. Below are some organisations that we have partnerships with and can recommend. However, there are plenty more out there so do your research. Bear in mind, especially with volunteering opportunities, that some organisations are more sustainable and ethical than others.
- Think Pacific run youth development projects in Fiji. Backed by the Fijian goverment, this programme will challenge you to step outside your comfort zone. For summer 2019, they are recruting an exclusive University of Bristol group.
- BVDA stands for Bristol Volunteers for Development Abroad, who are a student-led charity supporting Bristol students to make a difference in developing countries. Apply to join a project in the summer holidays in Uganda, Nepal or Malawi and make a difference by protecting a water source, constructing a classroom or teaching about hygiene and sanitation. BVDA can offer some Global Opportunities funding to help with your travel costs.
- AIESEC is a global platform for young people to find volunteering or internship placements overseas to help develop their leadership potential. AIESEC Bristol will be offering some scholarships to students with funding from Global Opportunities. Get in touch with the AIESEC student team at Bristol to find out more: email@example.com
- Eramus+ funding is available to support you in undertaking a voluntary placement. This is part of the EU Solidarity Corps Initiative and costs such as accommodation and spending money are often covered for you. You can volunteer for a variety of organisations and for varying durations from 2 weeks to 12 months.
- Generation UK is a British Council intiative offering fully-funded internship or study placements China. Application deadline:10th February 2019.
- CRCC Asia offer internship placements in various Asian locations. There is a $200 discount on published programme fees for Bristol students.
- The Intern Group can find you an internship in 5 different continents and there is a $300 discount for Bristol students. The Intern Group is currently offering 3 travel grants of up to $3,000. The application deadline for these grants is 2 February 2019.
- Huawei Seeds for the Future Programme offers 50 STEM undegraduates from top UK universities the chance to spend 4 weeks in China undertaking cultural, technical and business training. This funded programme is a fantastic opportunity to gain some commercial awareness overseas. The Global Opportunities Team will be shortlisting applications before Huawei make the final selection. To apply, please submit your CV and supporting essay of no more than 500 words to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your supporting essay should demonstrate your interest in China and Huawei, and your suitability for the programme. Application deadline: 24th February 2019.
- AIESEC (see details above)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong run a Summer Undergraduate Research Programme giving you the chance to undertake an eight-week research project in Hong Kong this summer. To find out more about the 70+ projects on offer and how to apply, visit the SURP web page. There is no tuition fee for the programme. Application deadline: 28th February 2019.
The University of Auckland offers 8-week summer research placements for Bristol Undergraduate and Taught Masters students. There are a range of projects available and the University of Auckland is offering financial support of NZ$6,400 to all participants. Application deadline: 4th February 2019.
- Study China offers UK students the chance to live and study at a Chinese University for 3 weeks. The programme is run by the University of Manchester and funded by the UK Government with costs such as tuition, accommodation and excursions covered for students. Application deadline: 15th February 2019.
- ACU Global Summer School Grants support UK undegraduates to attend summer schools at ACU member universities. 20 grants of £2,000 are available and the summer schools take place in a variety of destinations including Bangladesh, Australia, Canada and Hong Kong. More information can be found online. Application deadline: 15th February 2019 (Please submit application forms to email@example.com)
If you arrange your own international trip, including one through our listed partners, you can apply for one of our scholarships to help fund your experience.
Tel: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
In person: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD