Other opportunities to work, study or volunteer abroad
You can arrange your own international experience: perhaps a research placement, an internship or a volunteering opportunity.
There are many external organisations offering a wide variety of opportunities to work study or volunteer abroad. Below are some organisations that students have recommended. However, there are plenty more out there so do your research. Bear in mind, especially with volunteering opportunities, that some organisations are more sustainable and ethical than others. Please also note that, as these organisations are external, the University of Bristol cannot be held liable for any activity undertaken with them.
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, there are a growing number of virtual international opportunities that you can do without travelling abroad - these are noted below in in bold italics.
If you arrange your own international experience, including one through our listed partners, you can apply for one of our scholarships to help cover some of the costs.
- Think Pacific run youth development projects in Fiji. Currently, Think Pacific are running a Virtual Internship Programme, offering the opportunity to gain work experience in the third sector, without travelling overseas. There are 150 fully-funded scholarships available for the virtual internship programme. Applicication deadline: 26th October 10am.
- BVDA (Bristol Volunteers for Development Abroad) are a student-led charity supporting Bristol students to make a difference in developing countries including Uganda, Nepal or Ghana. Past projects have included protecting a water source, constructing a classroom and teaching about hygiene and sanitation.
- AIESEC is a global platform for young people to find volunteering or internship placements overseas to help develop their leadership potential.
- Eramus+ funding is available to support you in undertaking a voluntary placement. This is part of the EU Solidarity Corps Initiative and costs such as accommodation and spending money are often covered for you. You can volunteer for a variety of organisations with placement from 2 weeks to 12 months.
- Operation Wallacea is a collective of academics from North American and European universities who offer opportunities to assist with their biodiversity and conservation management research expeditions in some of the most beautiful and remote locations in the world. You can join them on expeditions for 2-8 weeks as a Research Assistant or undertake your own dissertation project for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- East African Playgrounds offer ethical volunteering opportunities, promoting both a life changing experience whilst making a genuine impact to the community. The award-winning organisation are proud of the sustainable impact of their volunteer projects, working with the local communities and suppliers. You could be a part of helping the disadvantaged youth and children by building safe playgrounds for them to enjoy for years to come.
- Africa and Asia Venture (AV) is a non-for-profit organisation who offer many varied and meaningful volunteering opportunities across Africa and Asia. You could be living and working in a developing country, giving back to the local community whilst gaining life-changing experiences along the way.
Work and internship opportunities
- Generation UK is a British Council initiative offering various opportunities in China, including funded internships for students who meet certain criteria.
- CRCC Asia offer internship placements in various Asian locations. There is a $200 discount on published programme fees for Bristol students.
- Virtual Internships offer online internships which you can choose to do full-time over 4 weeks or part-time over 2, 3 or 4 months.
- The Intern Group can find you an internship in 5 different continents and there is a $300 discount for Bristol students. They offer a Remote Internship Programme so you can gain work experience from home.
- AIESEC (see details above)
- Camp America offer the chance to experience the true America in an exciting and unique opportunity. You will spend your summer working on an American summer camp, meeting people from all over the world whilst also building on your employability skills.
- GoToCo offer summer programmes in China with fully funded TEFL training and certification, and the chance to make a difference by teaching English to Chinese students. They offer a fantastic opportunity to work, travel and immerse yourself in China’s culture.
- CII Argentina is an all-inclusive Argentinian experience, whilst living with a local family you will have the chance to teach English in both a formal and non-formal setting, as well as traveling the country and improving your Spanish skills along the way.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong run a Summer Undergraduate Research Programme giving you the chance to undertake an eight-week research project in Hong Kong this summer. To find out more visit the SURP web page.
- The University of Auckland offers 8-week summer research placements for Bristol Undergraduate and Taught Masters students.
- Study China offers UK students the chance to live and study at a Chinese University for 3 weeks. The programme is run by the University of Manchester and funded by the UK Government with costs such as tuition, accommodation and excursions covered for students.
- ACU Global Summer School Grants support UK undergraduates to attend summer schools at ACU member universities. 17 grants of £2,000 are available and the summer schools take place in a variety of destinations including Bangladesh, Australia, Canada and Hong Kong.
- The Hacker Exchange offer the chance for students to join their Global Innovation program in one of four major city locations: Silicon Valley, Tel Aviv, Singapore or Melbourne. These programs are designed for those who have an early-stage business idea or concept and aim to provide valuable knowledge about the start-up business world.
If you arrange your own international trip, including one through our listed partners, you can apply for one of our scholarships to help fund your experience.