International Leadership Programme
An exciting opportunity for Bristol students to travel to Chicago for a four-day global leadership programme, in partnership with Common Purpose and Santander.
- Dates: 12 to 15 June 2018
- Location: University of Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Costs: Programme costs are covered by the University of Bristol. Students will need to cover costs of flights, accommodation and subsistence.
- Application deadline: 31 January 2018
In June 2018, 50 undergraduate students from the University of Bristol will have the chance to take part in a four-day global leadership programme in Chicago.
The International Leadership Programme is designed to strengthen your leadership skills and cultural intelligence through tackling a local issue and simultaneously exploring global challenges. The skills and experiences you will gain in Chicago will help set you apart from other students and strengthen your CV and furture job aplications.
You will be immersed in life in the city, collaborating with students from the University of Chicago. Together, you will create solutions to a local challenge and present your ideas to a panel of experts, before reflecting on ways to take your ideas forward into the future.
The overseas experience will integrate problem-solving, presentation, and development of cross-cultural leadership skills, as well as plenty of opportunities for feedback and reflection. Over the four days of this immersive programme you will also meet with leaders from a cross-sector of industries in Chicago to develop your understanding of the issues these leaders face.
Before you depart, you will be invited to join a Common Purpose online community platform offering interactive learning and encouraging group engagement. You will continue to build your skills after you return to Bristol, with ongoing support from the online community.
We will be running two streams to the programme and there are 25 places available on each stream.
Open to all undergraduates.
Open to undergraduate students from backgrounds where participation in study or work abroad has been traditionally low. You will receive a grant of £900 to cover your flights and subsistence.
To be eligible for this stream, you will need to meet further criteria outlined in the Eligibility section.
In order to participate in this programme you must be:
- an undergraduate
- a British or other national
- on a degree programme that does not include Study Abroad
- motivated and interested in leadership
You also need to meet one of the following criteria:
- you have received the University of Bristol Bursary or Access to Bristol Bursary. Priority will be given to students who have received the maximum bursary amount.
- you are from a minority ethnic group
- your home address is in an area of low progression to higher education. (You can check whether your home address qualifies by using the POLAR checking tool and inputting your postcode. We will be using the young participation POLAR marker. On the results screen, if the number in the first column is either a 1 or 2, your address will qualify.)
Application and selection
Apply now via the International Leadership Programme 2018 online application.
Submit your online application by midday (GMT), 31 January 2018.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 28 February 2018.
Students selected to participate on this programme via Stream A are eligible to apply for the Global Opportunities scholarship scheme, which provides 80 students across the University with £500 toward their short-term international experience.
If you need more information about studying or working abroad
Phone: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
In Person: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD
Date: 15 November 2017
Place: Wills Memorial Building, Room 1.11