Bristol Interns in China programme
Spend your summer on a fully-funded eight-week internship in Shenzhen, China.
Due to the pandemic and the ongoing uncertainty around international travel, all in-person summer programmes, including Bristol Interns in China, have been cancelled for 2021. We hope to return to in-person programmes in 2022.
Programme at a glance
Dates: Eight weeks in the University summer holidays (exact dates TBC)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Cost: All costs for this programme are covered, including flights, accommodation, insurance, visa and programme fee. You will receive an allowance for your time in China.
Eligibility: Open to undergraduates from backgrounds where participation in study or work abroad is traditionally low - check the eligibility section below.
What it is
This is a fully-funded internship programme. You will be matched to an internship that fits your skills and interests, although you should expect to be flexible.
You will be based in Shenzhen, home to many leading technology and manufacturing companies, so there is a range of businesses that you could work with.
In the months leading up to your internship, you will take part in various preparation activities such as Mandarin lessons, cultural sessions and careers workshops, and will have the chance to get to know the other Bristol students on the programme.
This opportunity is more than just an internship. You will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture for two months and develop cross-cultural skills that are greatly valued by employers.
All internships are in English, so you do not need to know Mandarin, although trying to learn some basic phrases will help you navigate everyday life in Shenzhen.
What is included
This programme is fully funded, and you will be supported throughout your time abroad.
Before you go
We will work closely with you to prepare you for your internship. We will provide training in inter-cultural skills, Chinese business culture and etiquette. You will also complete a Mandarin course.
To get you there
- Flights are included, including airport pickup when you arrive in China.
During your stay
- Stay in a two-bed apartment, a commutable distance from your work.
- Get on-site orientation on the first day of your internship.
- Receive support and pastoral care.
- Take part in social and cultural activities.
- Benefit from business and networking activities.
- Meet some of our 100+ alumni based in Shenzhen.
When you get home
- You will be invited to a focus group to share and reflect on your experiences.
Tel: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
Office: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD
Office hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm
Book an online appointment
Check your eligibility
There are usually 12 spaces on this programme. To be eligible you must meet all of the following criteria:
- be an undegraduate student
- be a home student
- not be in your final year
- be studying full-time
- have a UK or EU passport
- be studying a degree programme that does not include Study Abroad or a work abroad placement.
You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- you are a mature student
- you receive the University of Bristol Bursary, Access to Bristol Bursary or Bristol Scholars Bursary (priority will be given to students who have received the maximum bursary amount)
- you are a BAME student
- your home address is in an area of low progression to higher education (I.e your postcode is listed as Qunitile '1' or '2' on the POLAR4 measure on the POLAR checking tool)
- you are a care-leaver or estranged student (this will need to be registered with Student Finance)
- you are living with a disability (this will need to be registered with Disability Services).
An effort will be made to give priority to students meeting two or more of the criteria above, and to those who have little or no prior experience of international travel.
This programme was postponed from summer 2020 and is currently full. If spaces become available, details on how to apply will be posted to this webpage.