CELTA entry requirements
- You must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course, though it is at the Centre's discretion to accept anyone under 20 years of age.
- You must have qualifications which would allow you access to Higher Education courses, though most of our applicants have degrees.
- You must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables you to undertake the course.
- You must have the minimum of C2 level on the common European framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), if an L2 user of English.
- You must have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to complete the written assignments of practice teaching successfully.
Although a degree is not an entry requirement for CELTA, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that without a degree it will be more difficult to find employment teaching English as a Foreign Language in the UK or abroad.
It is also very useful to have experience of learning a language.
All decisions about selection and recruitment are at the discretion of the Centre for English Language and Foundation Studies.
If you have any queries regarding these points, please contact Ruth.Taylor@bris.ac.uk