Academic Language and Literacy
Nobody is born speaking academic English. It is something you will need to learn, whether or not English is your first language. Our Academic Language and Literacy sessions help postgraduate taught students succeed in their studies.
Every discipline has its own academic culture and style of communication. We have worked with schools to create discipline-specific sessions, designed to help you meet expectations and communicate effectively.
What you will learn
Looking at feedback given to previous students, you will develop strategies to fulfil subject lecturers' expectations. You will also study academic language specific to your discipline.
Most sessions last around two hours. You will work in small groups, using active and practical learning methods. There will be opportunities to ask questions, discuss any issues and practise everything you learn.
Academic Language and Literacy sessions bear no credits and are not formally assessed.
Registration for the new academic year will open in September.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Which schools we work with
We collaborate with schools and faculties across the University to offer subject-specific provision.
Who we work with
We currently work with the following schools:
- Bristol Centre for Functional Nanomaterials
- Bristol Veterinary School
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- Chinese-English Translation
- Climate Change Science and Policy
- Comparative Literatures and Cultures
- Computer Science
- Economics, Finance and Management
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering Maths
- Environmental Policy and Management
- Film and Television
- Human Geography: Society and Space
- Nutrition, Physical Activity and Public Health
- Public Policy
- Sociology, Politics and International Studies
- Translational Health Sciences
- Water and Environmental Management