Ultrasonics and Non-destructive Testing Laboratory
The non-destructive testing laboratory principally conducts research into five areas:
- phased array imaging;
- materials characterisation (e.g. nonlinear ultrasound);
- structural health monitoring;
- NDT of composites; and
- ultrasonic particle manipulation.
In order to support this research there are a number of general purpose items such as pulser receivers, amplifiers, oscilloscopes, signal generators and ultrasonic transducers.
The laboratory has specialist kit in the form of:
- a Faraday cage
- an inteferometer
- three phased array controllers;
- a large collection of phased arrays;
- a high frequency pulser receiver (200MHz);
- a Schleiren system (for wave visualisation) and;
- a particle manipulation controller.
The laboratory houses a large stock of samples from many industries and in a variety of materials.