Information for parents and supporters
We are at a difficult moment in our world’s history of public health challenges and you may have many questions and worries. We take the health and safety of our students seriously. Find out what steps we're taking to keep them safe.
As a university we are continually monitoring the situation and making decisions in the best interests of our student community. Please help us by encouraging your student to check their UoB email and Blackboard so they are aware of any developments or updates.
How we are supporting students who are self-isolating
We recognise how difficult it is for students who are starting or returning to University and need to self-isolate because of Covid-19 cases.
To make sure we are supporting students in the best way possible, we will contact all students who are self-isolating to check on their welfare and offer practical and emotional support. We will also make sure that all students know how to access our mental health and wellbeing services while isolating. Eligible students can apply for financial support through our hardship fund, and students without access to the IT equipment needed for their course can apply to loan a laptop.
For students staying in University accommodation, we will also:
- do a regular check-in on students who are symptomatic or who have tested positive to find out how they are feeling and what their specific needs may be
- offer support in accessing medication, shopping and food deliveries – including access to a guaranteed delivery of an essentials food, toiletries and a laundry product package while self-isolating
- provide students details for local collect and deliver laundry services. The University will cover the cost of this to ensure self-isolating students are not paying any more than they would have to use our communal laundries.
- make sure that all students know what to do if they or their flatmates become symptomatic, or very unwell
- offer a range of online residence life activities to support engagement and community building
- We are in regular contact with Bristol City Council, Public Health England and other partners to make sure that we are sharing information about the local situation and responding to the latest guidance.
We have put measures in place to protect and keep our students safe.
If you are worried, please speak to your student or call our University hotline tel: +44 (0)117 3742838.