Mentor a student
Mentor a student from an under-represented background, providing career-focused support to help them achieve their potential. Find out more about being a Bristol Alumni Mentor below and complete your application to get involved.
What Bristol Mentors do
- Give guidance and advice to support students.
- Help students set goals and identify opportunities.
- Give insight into industries that interest students.
- Prepare students for the world of work by helping them to develop key skills.
- Build students’ confidence as they prepare to take their next steps.
- Guide students through the transition from University to work.
Our mentors make a real difference for the students they support.
Why become a mentor
What makes Bristol Mentors unique for students is you - our alumni. As alumni, you know what it's like to be both a student and a graduate of Bristol and have valuable insight into both the challenges and opportunities our students may encounter as they consider their progression. You can make a real difference to these students whilst also developing your skills and reconnecting to the University.
Are you our next mentor?
We need mentors with different experiences, and from a range of subjects, disciplines, and careers.
You could be a great mentor if you are:
- empathetic and a good listener;
- able to ask questions and share ideas effectively;
- willing to share your experience and give insight into your work and your journey;
- available to work with a student mentee for 1-2 hours per month to support them from September until June.
Read more about the programme and who we're looking for.
- Bristol Mentors- Bristol Mentors information guide (PDF, 236kB)
- Bristol Mentors- Role Description (PDF, 115kB)
If you'd like to know more about what's involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mentoring partnerships will continue online and over the phone when unable to meet in person. We always encourage you to follow government guidance when working with mentees.
We will also support new mentors with online training and guidance throughout the programme.
Apply to be a Bristol Mentor
If you meet the criteria outlined in the role description, we'd love to receive your application to take part in the programme.
Successful applicants will join our pool of potential mentors. We can't guarantee every successful applicant will be matched with a student mentee. It is down to the interest of the students that are accepted on to the programme each year. However, if for one year you are not matched, we still have a host of opportunities to speak with students from underrepresented backgrounds and will work with you to find an opportunity that suits you.