Do rats like to be tickled? 22 September 2020 Justyna Hinchcliffe, Emma Robinson (School of Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience) and Mike Mendl (Vet School) have found that 50kHz ultrasonic calls made by rats provide a graded indicator of positive affective states induced by simulated social play ('tickling').
- Do rats like to be tickled? 22 September 2020 Justyna Hinchcliffe, Emma Robinson (School of Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience) and Mike Mendl (Vet School) have found that 50kHz ultrasonic calls made by rats provide a graded indicator of positive affective states induced by simulated social play ('tickling').
- Slower growing chickens experience higher welfare, commercial scale study finds 16 September 2020 Slower growing broiler chickens are healthier and have more fun than conventional breeds of birds, new evidence from an independent commercial scale farm trial has shown. The study carried out by researchers from FAI Farms, the University of Bristol and The Norwegian University of Life Sciences, is published today [16 September], in Scientific Reports.
- Bristol Vet School announces new equine clinical rotation teaching partnership with CVS Group 11 September 2020 A new educational partnership for equine clinical rotation teaching has been announced by the University of Bristol Veterinary School (BVS) and CVS Group. Starting this autumn, final-year undergraduate veterinary students will benefit from a structured clinical rotation placement in a number of commercial equine clinics operated by CVS. The student experience is in addition to other first opinion and charity clinical rotations that are operated by the School through Langford Vets. This new model will allow vet students access to a wide equine caseload in the authentic learning environment of busy clinical practices as part of the Vet School’s accredited teaching programme.
- VetQuest cancelled 27 August 2020 Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation and in the interests of public health and safety, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel VetQuest for 2020.
- A quarter of puppies are taken from their mothers prematurely 10 August 2020 One in four people acquired their puppies before the advised age of eight weeks old, according to new findings from Dogs Trust's pioneering dog welfare study 'Generation Pup'.
- New Head of Bristol Vet School appointed 22 July 2020 Professor Tim Parkin, a Bristol alum and specialist in population medicine within the European College of Veterinary Public Health, has been appointed as the new Head of the Bristol Veterinary School at the University of Bristol. Professor Parkin will take up the role on 9 November 2020.
- Veterinary nursing students win top award 17 July 2020 Three veterinary nursing students from Bristol Veterinary School have won first prize in RCVS Knowledge’s Veterinary Evidence Student Awards 2020.
- New PhD studentship opportunity 12 June 2020 Pandemic resilient food systems for One Health: minimising waste pre and post-harvest
- Veterinary Science at Bristol ranked 3rd in Complete University Guide 2021 9 June 2020 The Complete University Guide is a widely-respected and cited online ranking of over 131 UK universities in one main table, plus 70 individual subject tables to help students compare courses at different universities.
- New PhD Studentship available 15 May 2020 Medical Research Foundation National PhD Training Programme in Antimicrobial Resistance Research: