Writing your advert
If you have a vacancy or other resourcing need then you should contact your Faculty or Divisional HR Team
in the first instance to discuss how best to take this forward and the support that HR will provide
You will need to draft a concise but informative job advert. Key points to consider when doing this include:
- Capture the main elements and attractions of the job and the type of person you are looking for in a punchy and appealing way. Try to do this in 50-100 words based on the information you have already compiled in the further particulars.
- Keep words, sentences and paragraphs short and clear.
- Make sure the job title will be meaningful outside the University.
- Try to picture the sort of person you want to attract. What would they already know about the University and the job? What do they need to know?
- Emphasise the most interesting elements of the role and don't labour the obvious.
- Ensure that you do not use any potentially discriminatory language, terms or criteria.
Most people will see your vacancy details on the web and the University's recruitment advertising agency, TMP, have put together some helpful advice for you. Click the following link to download the document: Useful hints and tips for writing advert copy for the web.