Fair trade is an arrangement designed to help producers in growing countries achieve sustainable and equitable trade relationships. At the University we are committed to purchasing in a way that benefits the communities and economies of producers, and so have a number of initiatives to help us achieve this.
In June 2021, we succeeded in gaining Fairtrade 1 star status which marks our achievements in making positive changes at the University of Bristol to support fair trade.
What are we doing
We have been working to make positive changes and meet the five goals set by the Fairtrade Foundation using a SMART Plan (PDF, 221kB), to achieve Fairtrade status. These include:
- Fairtrade Policy (PDF, 184kB)
- stocking and promoting Fairtrade goods across the University (such as all stationery by Lyreco)
- using Fairtrade products at University and Students' Union meetings
- organising fair trade campaigns
- establishing a fair trade steering group.
What can you do
- Make conscious purchasing decisions and look out for the various Fairtrade labels that are used to certify Fairtrade products Fair Trade schemes (PDF, 200kB)
- Join us for events like the Fairtrade Fortnight in February 2022
- Engage in the purchasing process and start discussions with our Sustainability and Procurement teams.