Work abroad for a year or semester
Discover if you can spend a year or semester working abroad as part of your degree and how to arrange it.
You can work abroad as part of three of a four-year degree, if you are enrolled on:
- a degree within the School of Modern Languages
- a degree with a 'Year in Industry'
- a degree with a 'Year with Industrial Experience'.
If you are not eligible to work abroad as part of your degree, you could still gain invaluable work experience abroad during the University holidays.
Find out more about the University of Bristol partner summer work programmes or find your own opportunities to work abroad.
Finding and applying for a placement
Finding a placement is your responsibility, but the university can offer support.
If you are enrolled on a degree in the School of Modern Languages
- Discuss your placement options with your Language Director(s) in teaching block 1 of your second year.
- Start researching your work opportunities via your departmental resources, or you can look for your own opportunities.
- Submit your placement choices to the School of Modern Languages via Blackboard.
- Confirm your year abroad placement choice(s) with your Language Director.
- Register your planned year abroad placement(s) by early January 2023 with Global Opportunities.
- Continue to research your work opportunities if not finalised, and submit your plans to the School of Modern Languages Blackboard site to be approved by your Language Director from January 2023 onwards.
If you are enrolled on a degree with a 'Year in Industry' or 'Year with Industrial Experience'
Your 'Year in Industry' or 'Year with Industrial Experience' falls under the responsibility of your academic department. Therefore help with finding a placement and support during your placement year will be provided by your academic department.
- Check you meet your department's academic requirements to apply for a work placement.
- Discuss your work placement options with your Year in Industry or Year with Industrial Experience coordinator.
- Follow your departments guidance on finding and securing a work placement.
- Confirm your work placement with your Year in Industry or Year with Industrial Experience coordinator.
Before you go abroad
If you are a School of Modern Language student, Global Opportunities and your academic department will provide you with guidance and information about the practical aspects of working and living overseas.
If you are a Year in Industry or Year with an Industrial placement student, guidance will come from your academic department.
Find out more about fees, funding and budgeting for your time abroad.
While you are aborad
Find out what to do while you are abroad.
Information for travel abroad in 2022/23.