- Winners of the prizes for the Best Doctoral Research Theses 2017/18 5 December 2018 Six Bristol postgraduates have been awarded £500 prizes for the exceptional quality of their research degree theses.
- Women who are 'larks' have a lower risk of developing breast cancer 6 November 2018 Women who are 'larks', functioning better at the beginning of the day than the end of the day, have a lower of risk breast cancer, according to new research led by the University of Bristol presented at the 2018 NCRI Cancer Conference today [Tuesday 6 November].
- Bristol to join forces with one of the world’s most prestigious research societies 6 November 2018 The University of Bristol partners with the Max Planck Society in Germany to establish an innovative new Max Planck Centre for Minimal Biology in Bristol. The Centre will pursue game-changing research in the emerging field of minimal biology to address some of the most complex challenges in fundamental science. This could lead to transformative applications in biotechnology and medicine.
- Fluorescent marker can help guide surgeons to remove dangerous brain tumour cells more accurately 5 November 2018 A chemical that highlights tumour cells has been used by surgeons to help spot and safely remove brain cancer in a trial presented by a University of Bristol academic at the 2018 NCRI Cancer Conference.
- Inflammation as a predictive tool for cancer 19 October 2018 Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) is often associated with chronic systemic inflammation (SI). A team from the Integrative Cancer Epidemiology Programme (ICEP) assessed if DNA methylation-derived SI (mdSI) indices: Neutrophil-toLymphocyte ratio (mdNLR) and Lymphocyte-to-Monocyte ratio (mdLMR) are associated with the presence of HNSCC and overall survival (OS).
- Serum calcium’s role in prostate cancer 11 October 2018 Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among men and is a common cause of male cancer death. Global variation in mortality and findings from migration studies provide support for a role of modifiable risk in prostate carcinogenesis.
- Scientists create synthetic prototissue capable of synchronised beating 10 October 2018 A tissue-like material capable of synchronised beating when heated and cooled has been developed by a team of University of Bristol chemists.
- Early detection of Cancer Conference 9 October 2018 Becky Richmond attended “The Early Detection of Cancer Conference” at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute in Portland, Oregon on 2-4 October 2018.
- Wellcome Board of Governors visit Bristol to hear about innovative research 26 September 2018 Dr Jeremy Farrar, Director of Wellcome, one of the UK’s largest research funders, visited Bristol this week [25 Sept] to meet senior staff and researchers and understand how Wellcome funding is used, explore issues of joint concern in the UK science base, and discuss future opportunities with the University.
- University of Bristol joins UK BioIndustry Association 26 September 2018 The University of Bristol staff can now benefit from the organisational membership of the UK BioIndustry Association through the support provided by the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute.
Cancer research press releases
Press releases relating to cancer research on the University's central news pages.