Schools Work experience placements within the Medical Sciences Building
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences currently offer work experience placements to year 10, 11 and 12 students from local schools and colleges. We offer week long placements based in the Biomedical Sciences Building giving students the chance to experience working in the technical services team. Follow the link if you are looking to find out more about opportunities related to the biomedical sciences programmes at Bristol.
We are accepting requests for work experience in the current academic year up to the 28th of February, before reviewing applications and responding to successful students with an offer of a place.
Please expect to hear from us by March 21st with our decision. Please understand that we receive a high volume of applications and will be unable to reach a decisions before this date. If you require confirmation before March, we suggest that you continue to pursue alternative options for your work experience as we cannot guarantee that you will be successful.
Work experience placements in the Technical Services Team
In the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences we are offering one week long work experience placements during June and July. The placements will be with the Faculty Technical staff and you will have the opportunity to shadow and engage with the work of Technicians as they support the Teaching and Research activities of the Schools of Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Medicine and Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience. This could include working in the Electronics Service unit, the Histology facility and the Research and Teaching Labs.
Some of the practical skills/tasks you will be experiencing include:
- Cutting and staining biological material to produce microscope slides.
- Constructing an infra-red controlled robot.
- Preparing ultra-thin sections of biological material and using an Electron microscope to view them.
- Looking at the effect of chemicals on biological material.
- Setting up Physiology student practical classes including electro cardio-graph (E.C.G)
- machines and nerve stimulation equipment.
- Making up accurate chemical solutions.
- Re-stocking Laboratory workstations from consumable stores.
- Basic cell culture techniques.
- Transporting biological and chemical waste for sterilisation prior to disposal.
- Production of media solutions for use in tissue/cell culture experiments.
- Use of pH meters and fine balances to weigh out re-agents and make up stock solutions.
If you are interested in conducting your work experience with the technical team then please download and complete the attached form. Completed forms should be sent to: Debbie.Martin@bristol.ac.uk.
If you're interested in Technical Services as a potential career please see the technical apprentice opportunities.
Biomedical Sciences Research Opportunities
We don’t offer research based work experience, but you can send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and you may be considered for laboratory research opportunities if they arise.
To get a taster of our undergraduate degree programs we advise that you sign up for an open day visit or apply for a place on our Biomedical Sciences Taster day when places become available.
Your school can also request a visit to the university where you can take part in scientific experiments and learn more about our degree programmes.