The Centre for Gender and Violence Research
The following people are in this group:
More about this group
The Centre for Gender and Violence Research is a key UK site for the study of gender based violence. Incorporating the Violence Against Women Research Group (VAWRG), the Centre has a long history of researching violence against women and gender based violence, feeding this into policy and practice nationally, internationally and at a local level. We also offer a range of consultancy, teaching and training, including research dissemination events and tailor-made seminars for professionals. Using a gendered analysis of violence against women, we situate our work, wherever possible, within an activist framework.
The group works on all forms of violence against women and interventions which challenge it, including:
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Rape and sexual violence
- Issues for disabled women
- Forced marriage
- Crimes in the name of “honour”
- Health and gender
- Issues for black and minority ethnic communities
- Perpetrator interventions
- Issues for children
- The impact of abuse for young people
- Same-sex domestic violence and abuse
- International and comparative research.
Whilst men commit the majority of forms of violence against women, we also explore how violence, gender, and power operate in a range of inter-personal relationships.