Browse/search for people
Dr Geetanjali Gangoli
Dr Geetanjali Gangoli
PhD, MPhil, MA
Geetanjali Gangoli has worked on violence against women and feminist movements in India with a special emphasis on legal activism. She has also researched on issues around sex work, trafficking and social policy in South Asia.
Geetanjali has taught at the University of Delhi (1995-7); been a visiting research fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science (1999-2000) and worked as a Research Fellow at the International Centre for the Study of Violence and Abuse, University of Sunderland.
Her recent work has been a comparative study of young people's experience of violence and abuse within the family in China and the UK and an assessment of domestic violence provisions in West Newcastle.
Gender and violence, domestic violence, prostitution and trafficking in South Asia; domestic violence and young people's experience of violence within the home in China.
- Domestic violence
- Prostitution and trafficking; Women's movements in China and South Asia and the UK. Other interests include representations of women in the media and issues of consent and coercion within marriage.
I work on different aspects of violence against women including domestic violence and forced marriage in the UK among South Asian communities. I also research on law and feminisms in India, and on sex work and trafficking in South Asia.
forced marriagedomestic violencetrafficking for prostitutionsex workethnic minority communitiesviolence against womenIndian women
- Hester, M, Gangoli, G, Gill, A & Mulvihill, N, 2015, Victim/survivor voices – a participatory research project.: A Report for Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary 'Honour'-based violence inspection.. Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary
- Aghtaie, N & Gangoli, G, 2015, Key Issues: Researching Gender Based Violence. in: Nadia Aghtaie, Geetanjali Gangoli (eds) Understanding Gender Based Violence: National and International Contexts . Routledge, pp. 3-17
- Aghtaie, N & Gangoli, G, 2015, National and International Perspectives to Gender Based Violence. Abingdon: Routledge
- Gangoli, G, Rew, M & Gill, A, 2013, Violence between Female In-laws in India. Journal of International Women's Studies, vol 14., pp. 147-160
- Gangoli, G, 2012, The Rape Law in India. in: W Westmarland, G Gangoli (eds) International Approaches to Rape. Bristol: Policy Press
- Hester, M, Williamson, E, , , , Gangoli, G, & , 2012, Exploring the service and support needs of male, lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgendered and black and other minority ethnic victims of domestic and sexual violence.: Report prepared for Home Office SRG/06/017. Bristol:University of Bristol
- Fitzpatrick, T, Gangoli, G, Ayres, S & Sweeting, D, 2011, Editorial statement. Policy and politics, vol 39., pp. 1-2
- Gangoli, G & Rew, MJ, 2011, Mothers-in-law against daughters-in-law: domestic violence and legal discourses around mothers-in-law against daughters-in-laws in India. Women's Studies International Forum, vol 34., pp. 420 - 429
- Chantler, K & Gangoli, G, 2011, Violence against Women in Minoritised Communities: Cultural Norm or Cultural Anomaly?. in: ThiaraR , SchroettleM , CondonS (eds) Violence Against Women and Ethnicity: Commonalities and Differences across Europe. Verlag Barbara Budrich Publishers, pp. 353 - 366
- Gangoli, G, Chantler, K, Hester, M & Singleton, A, 2011, Understanding Forced Marriage: definitions and realities. in: A Gill, A Sundhari (eds) Forced Marriage: Introducing a Social Justice and Human Rights Perspective. London: Zed Books Ltd
Edit this profile If you are Dr Geetanjali Gangoli, you can edit this page. Login required.