Professor Yongjin Zhang
Professor Yongjin Zhang
Professor of International Politics
Room 1.5, 10 Priory Road,
11 Priory Road, Clifton, Bristol
(See a map)
Telephone Number (0117) 928 8518
Lecturer, Institute of International Politics, Beijing, 1981-84; Stipendiary Junior Research Fellow, Wolfson College, Oxford, 1989-93; Lecturer, 1993-95, Senior Lecturer, 1995-98, University of Auckland; Fellow, Australian National University, 1999-2001; Associate Professor, 2002-5, Professor of China and International Studies, 2006-8, University of Auckland; Professor of East Asian Studies, 2008-9, Professor of International Politics, 2009 - , University of Bristol.
Honorary Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, 1996 - ;Senior Associate Member, St. Antony's College, Oxford University, 1996-97; Visiting Scholar, Hong Kong University, 1997; Resident Visiting Scholar, Peking University, 2000; Visiting Lecturer, Australian Defence College, 2000-5; Visiting Professor, Renmin University, 2001; Visiting Scholar, Lund University, 2004; Visiting Scholar, University of British Columbia; 2004, Visiting Research Professor, National University of Singapore, 2010; Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012, 2013, Visiting Professor, Zhejiang University 2013.
BISA Prize for best article published in Review of International Studies, 1991; Universitas 21 Fellow, University of Auckland, 2003-4.
My principal research interest and publications cut across the disciplinary boundaries of International Relations theory and Chinese history, politics, economic transformation and international relations. My core research informs and is informed by the ‘English School’ tradition in International Relations theory, but the broad theoretical approach I adopt is more appropriately regarded as eclectic. I have also published in the area of the political economy of Chinese global businesses and that of East Asian regionalism and regional security in the Asia-Pacific. One of my current research projects is on International Relations in Ancient China: Ideas, Institutions and Law, an interdisciplinary enquiry drawing upon Chinese political philosophy, history of ideas, ancient history and theories of international relations.
I am currently teaching
- M3014 Theories of International Relations
- M3033 Sino-American Relations in Global Politics
- POLI29008 Power Politics and International Relations of East Asia
I have taught previously at Bristol
- China, Japan and the Rise of East Asia
- East Asia and global Development
- Zhang, Y & BUZAN, B 2012, The Tributary System as International Society in Theory and Practice. Chinese Journal of International Politics, vol 5., pp. 3-36
- Zhang, Y 2007, China and the Emerging Regional Order in the South Pacific. Australian Journal of International Affairs, vol 61., pp. 367-381
- Zhang, Y 2007, Politics, Culture and Scholarly Responsibility in China: Towards a Culturally Sensitive Analytical Approach. Asian Perspective, vol 31., pp. 103-124
- Zhang, Y 2003, The 'English School' in China: A Travelogue of Ideas and Their Diffusion. European Journal of International Relations, vol 9., pp. 87-114
- Zhang, Y 2001, System, Empire and State in Chinese International Relations. Review of International Studies, vol 27., pp. 43-63
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system