Dr Will Atkinson
Dr Will Atkinson
2.03, 11 Priory Road,
11 Priory Road, Clifton, Bristol
(See a map)
Telephone Number (0117) 331 7598
ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Bristol, 2009-2010, Research Associate 2010-2011, British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow from 2012
I have broad interests in class inequalities and differences, whether they are in education, work, consumption, politics or self-identities, as part of a larger general concern with systems of power and domination. I work closely with the social theory of Pierre Bourdieu in this regard, though with a phenomenological twist.
My book, Class, Individualization and Late Modernity: In Search of the Reflexive Worker (Palgrave, 2010), was an empirical test, and ultimately rejection, of various theories heralding the emergence of a new form of class-busting ‘reflexivity’, and I’m currently working on two projects: one, entitled Ordinary Lives, Different Worlds, is an investigation of the ways in which social class is lived and reproduced, or altered, in the most mundane, routine practices of domestic, family life; and the other, based on my British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship, is an effort to construct a sound class scheme for statistical research based on Bourdieusian principles.
I convene the University of Bristol research Network on Class and Power.
I currently run the Social Class in Contemporary Society unit at Masters level.
- Atkinson, W 2010, Class, Individualization and Late Modernity: In Search of the Reflexive Worker. Palgrave Macmillan
- Atkinson, W 2010, Phenomenological Additions to the Bourdieusian Toolbox: Two Problems for Bourdieu, Two Solutions from Schutz. Sociological Theory, vol 28., pp. 1 - 19
- Atkinson, W 2011, The Context and Genesis of Musical Tastes: Omnivorousness Debunked, Bourdieu Buttressed. Poetics, vol 39., pp. 169 - 186
- Atkinson, W 2011, From Sociological Fictions to Social Fictions: Some Bourdieusian Reflections on the Concepts of 'Institutional Habitus' and 'Family Habitus'. British Journal of Sociology of Education, vol 32., pp. 331 - 347
- Atkinson, W, Roberts, S & Savage, M 2013, Class Inequality in Austerity Britain: Power, Difference and Suffering. Palgrave Macmillan
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system