Dr Jon Fox
Dr Jon Fox
Senior Lecturer in Sociology
2.02, 3 Priory Road,
11 Priory Road, Clifton, Bristol
(See a map)
Telephone Number (0117)3310608
Visiting Scholar at the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, San Diego, 2003-2004; Lecturer at Bristol from 2004.
Jon’s main areas of research are in nationalism, ethnicity, racism, and migration. With each topic, he is interested in the ways in which ordinary people reproduce ethnic, national, and racialised forms of collective belonging in their everyday lives. Whilst appreciating the important role politics, culture, and the economy play in shaping social identities, Jon’s research pays special attention to the ways such identities are also the practical accomplishments of ordinary people engaging in routine activities. His research to date has examined these issues around questions of nationalism and migration in Hungary, Romania, and the UK.
I teach Nations & Nationalism and Ethnicity & Racism (undergraduate options) and International Migration and Theories of Ethnicity & Racism (MSc options). I am happy to supervise students working in areas of ethnicity, nationalism, migration as well as those with regional interests in East Europe.
- Fox, JE & Vermeersch, P 2010, Backdoor nationalism. European Journal of Sociology, vol 51., pp. 325 - 357
- Fox, JE 2009, From national inclusion to economic exclusion: Transylvanian Hungarian ethnic return migration to Hungary. in: Takeyuki , Tsuda (eds) Diasporic Homecomings: Ethnic Return Migration in Comparative Perspective. Stanford University Press, pp. 186 - 207
- Fox, JE & Miller-Idriss, C 2008, Everyday nationhood. Ethnicities, vol 8 ., pp. 536 - 563
- Skrentny, J, Chan, S, Fox, JE & Kim, D 2009, Defining nations in Asia and Europe: A comparative analysis of ethnic return migration policy. in: Takeyuki , Tsuda (eds) Diasporic Homecomings: Ethnic Return Migration in Comparative Perspective. Stanford University Press, pp. 44 - 72
- Brubaker, R, Feischmidt, M, Fox, JE & Grancea, L 2006, Nationalist Politics and Everyday Ethnicity in a Transylvanian Town. Princeton University Press
- Fox, JE & Vidra, Z 2013, Roma school segregation indicators: Cluster Report on Tolerance Indicators. Florence: European University Institute
- Vidra, Z, Fox, JE & Horváth, A 2013, New knowledge about Hungary: Country Report, New Knowledge Highlights. Florence: European University Institute
- Fox, JE & Jones, D 2013, Migration, everyday life and the ethnicity bias. Ethnicities, vol 13., pp. 385-400
- Morosanu, L & Fox, JE 2013, ‘No smoke without fire’: strategies of coping with stigmatised migrant identities. Ethnicities, vol 13., pp. 438-456
- Fox, JE 2012, Education on the edge: Roma segregation in the schools of five EU member states: Comparative Policy Brief, National Case Study - School Life. Florence: European University Institute
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system