Browse/search for people
Professor Alex Bentley
Please see personal homepage.
Alex Bentley’s research concerns modelling and understanding collective ``herding’’ behaviour in society, and testing these models against real-world phenomena -- the subject of his 2011 book with MIT press. A second, distinct area of research explores community diversity, kinship and social complexity in prehistoric societies. Recent isotopic results in PNAS (June 2012) report the oldest evidence for hereditary inequality in Neolithic Europe.
Please see personal homepage.
- PhD. University of Wisconsin, Anthropology
- M.S. Cornell University, Geology/Geochemistry
- M.A. Cornell University, Archaeology
- B.A. Bowdoin College, Physics (Magna Cum Laude)
- Bentley, RA, Garnett, P, O'Brien, MJ & Brock, WA, 2012, Word diffusion and climate science.. PLoS One, vol 7., pp. 1-9
- Bentley, R, Bickle, P, Fibiger, L, Nowell, G, Dale, C, Hedges, R, Hamilton, J, Wahl, J, Francken, M, Grupe, G, Lenneis, E, Teschler-Nicola, M, Aborgast, R-M & Whittle, A, 2012, Community differentiation and kinship among Europe’s first farmers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 109., pp. 9326-9330
Read more >
- Bentley, RA, Brock, WA, Caiado, CCS & O’Brien, MJ, 2016, Evaluating reproductive decisions as discrete choices under social influence. Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological sciences, vol 371.
- O’Brien, MJ, Boulanger, MT, Buchanan, B, Bentley, RA, Lyman, RL, Lipo, CP, Madsen, ME & Eren, MI, 2016, Design Space and Cultural Transmission: Case Studies from Paleoindian Eastern North America. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory, vol 23., pp. 692-740
- Garnett, P, Mollan, S & Bentley, RA, 2015, Complexity in history: modelling the organisational demography of the British banking sector. Business History, vol 57., pp. 181-201
- King, CL, Tayles, N, Higham, C, Signarsdõttir, USS, Bentley, RA, Macpherson, CG & Nowell, G, 2015, Using isotopic evidence to assess the impact of migration and the two-layer hypothesis in prehistoric Northeast Thailand. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol 158., pp. 141-150
- O'Brien, MJ & Bentley, RA, 2015, The role of food storage in human niche construction: An example from Neolithic Europe. Journal of Environmental Archaeology, vol 20., pp. 364-378
- Bentley, RA & O'Brien, MJ, 2015, Collective behaviour, uncertainty and environmental change. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, vol 373.
- Caiado, CCS, Brock, WA, Bentley, RA & O'Brien, MJ, 2015, Fitness landscapes among many options under social influence. Journal of Theoretical Biology.
- Brock, WA, Bentley, RA, O'Brien, MJ & Caiado, CCS, 2014, Estimating a Path through a Map of Decision Making. PLoS ONE, vol 9.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Alex Bentley, you can edit this page. Login required.